Skip navigation.

Root Trainers

Last post 03-06-2007 1:59 AM by Lemon. 11 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

• 25/01/2007 12:26 PM
    • Chillies
    • 15 Jan 2007
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi everyone, boring me again, asking questions! Has anyone used root trainers and found them to be better than just growing seeds in trays or pots? Having looked through many websites and catalogues the cheapest I have found are at Ronaash Ltd. If you have used them, which size would you say are the most useful generally for vegetable growing. Many thanks and kind regards. Chillies

• 25/01/2007 12:49 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Chillies, don't worry about asking questions, it's what the board is for to learn off other people. Most seeds will do ok in trays or pots. I looked into root trainers and they are a bit pricey so have been saving the insides of loo rolls to use instead for my sweet peas and broad beans this year.

sue1002
  • 25/01/2007 01:02 PM
    • Chillies
    • 15 Jan 2007
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks sue1002 for that, never thought of using loo rolls, I just get into trouble with my other half if I don't put them in the cardboard recycling box!! The root trainers I saw are £12.00 for a double pack with 64 cells and go to 24 pack, 768 cells for £85,50!!! I was browsing through this website [url=http://www.ronaash.co.uk]www.ronaash.co.uk[/url] and they sent me some information about them and price list. I suppose if there were a large group it would pay to buy in bulk. Anyway sitting here freezing even though the heating is on, OH is demolishing house, although he calls it DIY!! Think I may just stick to loo rolls this year as funds are low. Thanks again. Kind regards. Chillies

• 25/01/2007 01:48 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have used roottrainers with much success they are brilliant for root production especially for sweet peas and they do help air pruning of the roots which encourages more fine roots.

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 25/01/2007 01:56 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Digger, are you suggesting I sit here with a skewer and poke holes in all my loo rolls? So far I've got a large carrier bag full of them and they are free.

sue1002
  • 25/01/2007 02:29 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

No sue1002 they will be fine i use loo rolls to start off my exhibition carrots root trainers are grooved to encourage the roots downward rather than around like in a pot when the roots reach the bottom they die back which encourages fine hair like roots further up roottreaners were plugged a couple of years ago on gardeners world by Sarah Raven.

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 25/01/2007 02:58 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Phew, saved me a job! When you said about air pruning I thought you meant they had air holes in them, silly me.

sue1002
  • 25/01/2007 03:08 PM
    • Chillies
    • 15 Jan 2007
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hello guys, just had another thought whilst emptying mustard & cress earth in compost heap, could use those empty containers as they are quite deep. Perhaps we should all use everything but Root Trainers!! Thanks for help.

• 26/02/2007 12:09 AM
    • DunDiggin
    • Bracknell, Berkshire
    • 25 Feb 2007
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Digger How do you stop your loo rolls from growing fungus? I use roottrainers for sweet peas and runner beans becasue of this problem, and if you put them on a gravel tray the roots don't die when they grow out of the bottom :-) [Edited on 26/02/2007]

DunDiggin

Blog: http://vortexs-veg-patch.blogspot.com
  • 24/04/2007 12:32 PM
    • jilly
    • 24 Apr 2007
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

The beauty of rootrainers is that you can inspect the root growth without disturbing the roots. The roots also grow striaght down in the grooves and because there is air pruning the root system becomes a very strong root system which easily establishes when you plant out. The best or general size to get is the 5" Sherwood which covers most of your requirements. The 3" Rapid is used for salads and herbs and any plant not needing a long root run. By the way have you seen that they now do a smaller version of the 32 cell rootrainer - now a 20 cell? They also have brought out a new product which is excellent called the Rowplanter which simplifies gutter planting. My peas are flourishing and it is so easy to plant out! Regards Jilly

• 25/04/2007 05:52 PM
    • fredjb
    • 13 Oct 2005
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Vortex, I've been using loo roll inners for years for starting French and runner beans. I fit six of them in a 2-litre (ex-nursery) black pot (five round the edge and one in the middle), stand the pot in an 8-in pot saucer, put compost in the tubes only, and plant my seeds/seedlings there. They've always done well and I have had no trouble at all with growing fungus. Best Fred fredjb

fredjb
  • 03/06/2007 01:59 AM
    • Lemon
    • 20 May 2007
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Fredjb, I read somewhere about recycling loo roll tubes for root trainers, so I saved some, cut them in half before filling with compost. I used them to plant tomato seedlings and busy lizzies but I'm not sure if they liked it really. The tubes were stood up in a plastic container you buy mushrooms in and the tubes had white mould growing on them. I'm worried about the glue on the tubes from where the kitchen or loo paper is stuck to it. I put the toms & busy lizzies outside but they didn't seem to grow much so I've re-potted them and ditched the loo roll. I gave up on the loo roll idea and went & bought peat pots from Homebase - 96small pots for a few pounds. I'm going to start sweet peas in those.