Skip navigation.

Disease of Eucalyptus leaves

Last post 23-06-2009 9:18 PM by John Hebard. 10 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

• 07/04/2006 03:36 PM
    • flyaway
    • 07 Apr 2006
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Can anyone help please? We have a Eucalyptus tree in our front garden over 20 years old, and about 20 feet tall, it is a lovely tree, seeds regularly each year, and of course we have to prune it each year, but I have just noticed that all the leaves are covered with tiny raised spots that grow right into the leaf, on top and bottom and when you run your hand over the leaf it feels like rough sandpaper. All the leaves on the tree appear to be affected. Looking under an eye glass the growths appear to be a brownish colour with a cracked surface, no more than 1mm across. I do not know the name of the Eucalyptus. Have been trawling the Net to no avail. I do hope someone can help. Flyaway

• 07/04/2006 06:41 PM
    • stevew
    • 16 Feb 2006
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Does it look like any of these? [url=http://www.forestry.sa.gov.au/privateforestry/insect_fact_sheets/Fact_Sheet_html/FHS%2028%20Leaf%20diseases.htm]http://www.forestry.sa.gov.au/privateforestry/insect_fact_sheets/Fact_Sheet_html/FHS%2028%20Leaf%20diseases.htm[/url] It does say although unsightly they do not really damage the tree Steve [Edited on 11/04/2006]

• 13/04/2006 11:22 AM
    • flyaway
    • 07 Apr 2006
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hello Steve, Thanks for your help, sorry about late reply. No our Eucalyptus does not suffer any of those diseases. Since Kew Gardens isnt too far we are going to take a sample of leaves there and see if they can identify it. The tree is beginning to look unwell, and I dont hold out much hope. Thanks again Flyaway

• 26/04/2006 05:07 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

This sounds mighty like gall wasp. This pesky critter is new to Britain. It looks very like oedema but the raised blebs are even in size rather than variable like oedema (eruptions of leaf cells caused by excess moisture). I suggest you send a sample to the Wisley entomologists to confirm and add to the recording of the whereabouts of this pest.

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil
  • 04/05/2006 09:40 AM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

We also have a very beautiful Eucalyptus tree in the garden with, what sounds like, exactly the same problem. I would love to hear the results of your investigations and if any action can be taken to rectify the problem. Thanks

• 14/03/2007 09:32 AM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I also have a Eucalyptus with the same problem and would be very interested if there is anything that can be done for it.

• 10/06/2008 09:26 PM
    • Andrew
    • Kent
    • 10 Jun 2008
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Did you ever get a reply to what the causing it and  what can be done to treat it. As I have noticed that I have the same problem.

• 25/05/2009 03:45 PM
    • Vikki B
    • Redhill, Surrey
    • 25 May 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I think our tree may have similar issues as below, but the leaves are also turning pink before dropping off - Is this another symptom or could it be something different?

• 26/05/2009 09:35 PM
    • Hellebore
    • Surrey
    • 12 Apr 2009
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Vicki, I'm just down the road from you; same problem with pink leaves and trunk, with brown spots on leaves. The new growth is silver though. Also I have tried to coppice it twice, but it refuses to shoot from the base, and quite honestly is nothing like as vigorous as might be expected of a gunnii. I have also noticed spots on some plants (but not all) nearby, viz a gaura, which had been very vigorous then faded away; a phygellus, and a photinia.

• 27/05/2009 07:29 PM
    • Vikki B
    • Redhill, Surrey
    • 25 May 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi

Yes the new growth on ours all seems to be ok too.  I think that the pink leaves may be something to do with a root disease.  Ours is stupidly close to the house so may be that the roots are not getting what they need as they have nowhere to go.  Trunk looks to be ok too, but a few branches have leaves that are all completely red/pink and it is shedding leaves all the time.

• 23/06/2009 09:18 PM
    • John Hebard
    • United Kingdom
    • 23 Jun 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I also have a Eucalyptus tree 22years old regularly pollarded that has the same spotted leaves. Half the tree died over the winter and the bark on the lower trunk has come away from the wood in a spiral fashion. when the dead wood was cut away from the rest of the tree the wood was completely without any internal moisture, was very hard and had the characteristics of seasoned hardwood. The remaining half of the tree is going the same way and will need removal before the autumn. All adjacent trees and shrubs appear unaffected by this one diseased tree. Any information would be helpful.