Skip navigation.

Growing Grapes in A Pot

Last post 28-12-2005 12:52 PM by prentonboy. 3 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

• 20/08/2005 01:02 PM
    • prentonboy
    • Wirral
    • 26 Feb 2004
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

At the beginning of the the summer I bought, without giving too much thought, a grape ''Queen of Esther'' from the local garden centre. I have grown this in a pot on the pateo, in a very hot corner. It has plenty of new growth but it also has a couple of bunches of grapes, just turning black. My questions are, Can I continue to grow it in a pot, I haven't really got any space in the ground? Should I prune back the new growth so it can concentrate on the grapes or is it too late?

• 27/08/2005 02:06 PM
    • ken69
    • Norfolk UK
    • 23 Nov 2004
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I would think so Charles, and remember when I grew Black Hamburg,it wanted curtailing in growth, so would guess OK to grow in a pot, like a fig, with restricted root system.I dug mine up in the end , couldn't get topside of the mildew.

• 27/12/2005 08:26 PM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hello Charles, glad to see you are growing grapes. Are you sure you cannot grow it outside, properly pruned they take up very little space. Anyway if you do wish to continue growing in a pot that's ok. The crop will not be as great but I suppose the maxim 'quality not quantity' is right here.I know it may seem harsh but when growing grapevines, the important task is to provide plenty of root in its first couple of years. Don't let it fruit in this period as it will tire or even condemn the vine. The fruit will be very small and quite acidic.Try not to train the vine for the first two years as leaf is very imprtant to the vine. Maximise the leaf coverage, this will feed the vine, and will encourage excellent root growth.By the second year place the vine into a 14" pot with plenty of good john innes no3, and if you would like to impart an original terroir place calcium or chalk stones into the pot to mimic northern France and their glorious high prized vines and their wines. Good luck.

Let every day be a fresh start
  • 28/12/2005 12:52 PM
    • prentonboy
    • Wirral
    • 26 Feb 2004
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Peter, Thanks for the reply. I could grow the grape in the border but it would have to be in a mixed border and I thought it would grow better in a pot on it's own? Unfortunately I have pruned it back, mainly because it had quite a bit of growth in its first year. I have cut it back to virtually a single stem with my plan being to grow it as a standard. I don't really want a vast amount of grapes although obviously I would like, eventually to have some.