Skip navigation.

walnuts - will they ripen

Last post 17-08-2005 9:57 PM by P Stick. 4 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

• 17/08/2005 01:28 PM
    • ipt8
    • 22 Nov 2004
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I am battling with squirels who are taking walnuts from a mature tree. In the process I have removed some lower limbs from which I have taken the walnuts. I have checked and walnuts have developed inside. The question is, will they ripen? What is the best way to deal with them now? Ideas please. I have a plan for the tree but am not sure what to do with the walnuts I have picked. There are about two bucket fulls.

I P Terry
  • 17/08/2005 02:20 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

How far north do you live, IP? I can't think that removing the lower limbs would affect either the squirrels or the ripening.

• 17/08/2005 03:15 PM
    • ken69
    • Norfolk UK
    • 23 Nov 2004
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi I., ....think you can pickle them at this stage..loadsa info on 'pickled walnuts' at Google...wear gloves it says.Never done it, and it mentions ' before the nut is formed'...worth a try.

• 17/08/2005 07:53 PM
    • ipt8
    • 22 Nov 2004
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I should clarify, I am asking whether the PICKED walnuts will ripen. The removing of the lower limbs is a bye the way. The reason for this is to stop squirrels jumping either up off the ground or from nearby fence posts onto the tree. They will climb up the stem you say. Well not so long back I was reading in one of the trade Forestry journals of an experiment where old grow tubes are taped around the trunk of the tree and the person experimenting has found that the squirrels find them too slippery to climb up. This tree I have done the same to and coated the tubes with grease. Its just an experiment as my employer to whom the tree belongs is fed up with watching the squirrels run off with his walnuts. I will let you know if it works. Meanwhile does anyone think the nuts will ripen?

I P Terry
  • 17/08/2005 09:57 PM
    • P Stick
    • North Wales
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi IPT - sadly not I fear as the hods would need to be almost ready to split and the nut inside fully formed. If you open one and find it it is still milky or like a jelly they are too immature. As for pickling them, I think the time to do it is late June into July - afraid I can't remember exactly - but the test is to see if you can push a darning needle into them without too much effort. Keep an eye on the tree as walnuts bleed badly when cut.

P Stick