Skip navigation.

Covering a ten foot chain link fence to create a visual barrier.

Last post 22-02-2019 5:00 PM by BML. 5 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

• 20/02/2019 11:24 PM
    • BML
    • 14 Feb 2010
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I used to have a view across fields with Deer, Pheasants and the like on it until a it was sold to building speculators who built a wooden fence across the end of my garden.  However, that did not give me privacy from the twenty windows looking down on me when I went up for a chat with my chickens so I built a ten feet high chain link fence but the hedge plants I put in did not prosper probably because there is a mature Walnut Tree which creates a dark environment. Can anyone suggest what climbing plants that could cover this chain link fence with such an environment and possibly give me something flowery?     

• 21/02/2019 11:55 AM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

How about Russian Vine or Virginia Creeper? Unless you want tall evergreen bushes such as Euonymus, but they'll take a while to grow.

• 21/02/2019 07:53 PM
    • BML
    • 14 Feb 2010
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have grown a Russian Vine and its a monster and regretably the Virginia Creeper loses its leaves in the winter.

• 22/02/2019 07:19 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Not knowing where abouts you is a bit of a problem, as quite a few climbers are evergreen in milder areas but not in colder ones. Ivies will cope with the shade, but not sure how they will get along with the walnut, also they are better on a wall than a chainlink fence. Evergreen clematis and honeysuckle would be good, but not near the walnut. Could try Holobelia or Stauntonia which are vigorous twining climbers with scented flowers in spring. Solanum laxum is generally evergreen with me as is Eccremocarpus scaber although in cold areas this latter is grown as an annual.

• 22/02/2019 04:47 PM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I'm up on the North Downs. They are very fond of Laurels here which are fast growing and make a good screen. poppikin

• 22/02/2019 05:00 PM
    • BML
    • 14 Feb 2010
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I live in Steventon near Abingdon.  My backgarden fence is around six feet from the trunk of the Walnut tree and the rabbit boxes built for the Housing Association are about thirty feet the other side of my fence so it’s quite shady when the Walnut tree is in leaf.  There is a very healthy looking Ivy running along the neighbours fence to the right of the Walnut tree and a Laurel hedge was planted a few years ago that is now massive and will eventually become invasive to the Housing Association house because the smart housing developer left no access to the rear of our gardens to prune it.  Many thanks for the advice regarding Ivy running better on a wall than chain link fencing.

I will enjoy looking at the Evergreen shade tolerant Clematis and Honeysuckle including Holobelia,  Stauntonia, Solanum laxum and Eccremocarpus scaber the Internet and they look good but I’m not sure what the best time is to plant them but they are not expensive so thank you very much..