Skip navigation.

Should I use lithodora diffusa or campanula? What if any is the real difference between these 2 plants?

Last post 23-05-2018 5:43 PM by ASunnyAspect. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 18/05/2018 02:47 PM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Should I use lithodora diffusa or campanula? What if any is the difference between them?

We already have campanula (sorry, don't know the species of the genus) in 1 of our flower beds; we love it as its ground cover effect saves a lot of work.

We recently found at a garden centre the - till then unknown to us! -  plant lithodora diffusa. As I like to find any blue (cf more violet!) plants, we purchased 2 of these. We didn't know anything re the plant other than its nice colour! ,-)

We reckoned it would be good for 1 of the empty planters, if it was an upright growth plant. Only when I Googled lithodora diffusa did I realise it seems to offer much the same ground cover effect as the campanula.

Not that we mind: any ground cover is good in our too empty flower beds! And in fact we have 1 that is fairly empty & earthy so could be used there.

But out of interest etc.: is there much difference in design effect of the 2 plants? Should we expect the lithodora diffusa to behave differently to the campanula? And - re tech details - is there a recommended usage/non-usage of lithodora diffusa, or types of soil that are recommended, etc.?

Or are the 2 plants largely interchangeable?

:-)

~ ASunnyAspect ~
  • 21/05/2018 05:55 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

More info on these 2 plants here: https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/48275/Lithodora-diffusa-Heavenly-Blue/Details and here: https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/2956/Campanula-persicifolia/Details. Lithodora is definitely evergreen and looks to me to be more mat-forming whereas the campanula may not be evergreen and possibly has paler and more height to its flowers. However, the campanula that I have in the garden climbs over everything else so gives the impression it is more like ground cover. They appear to be very different in their habit & it may be worth getting a Lithodora to compare and contrast just out of interest. I wouldn't consider either plant for growing in a tub although it may cascade down the sides.

• 23/05/2018 05:43 PM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi  - thanks for that great advice & the Weblinks!

Our Campanula is indeed evergreen; which is w hy we were delight ed to find that it is extra perfect for covering soil! So, like you, we have seen it display that ground cover effect, & like it for that feature as well as the lovely blue flowers.

Re the Lithodora we have bought: "We reckoned it would be good for 1 of the empty planters, if it was an upright growth plant". As it clearly will trail everywhere, instead of growing upright, we shall now use it as ground cover instead of putting it in a planter! :-)

We might try it in a separate flower bed to the Campanula, so that we can clearly see any difference/s between the Campanula & the Lithodora.

:-) 

~ ASunnyAspect ~