Skip navigation.

Ornamental Cherry tree main roots exposed.

Last post 28-09-2017 2:22 AM by poppikin. 3 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

• 25/09/2017 10:59 PM
    • BML
    • 14 Feb 2010
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I am tidying up my front garden and the man working for me has cleared away the gravle surroubding the ornamental cherry tree showing some great thick roots which I doubt can be covered up with the turf I would like to place in the garden.  Can anyone tell me what effect leaving those roots exposed will be.

• 26/09/2017 05:06 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I don't think there should be any effect, unless you cut them with a strimmer or mower. Our neighbours tree has had exposed roots for years with no effect on the tree at all. Our tree has roots that are trapped by a wall one side and the tarmac drive the other and its roots run alongside the drive for some 15 feet and are only 2 inches deep in the ground yet the tree is perfectly healthy so it's getting nutrients from somewhere! I wouldn't worry about them. M

• 26/09/2017 06:19 PM
    • BML
    • 14 Feb 2010
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Many thanks for that.  If it dies my wife would be after me not only because she would miss the blossom but because that where we hang the Christmas tree lights.

My next job is to find a skilled tree person to look at the Walnut Tree in the back garden which has not been pruned for many years and the nuts have become very small.  I understand that Walnut Trees need pruning but I don't trust the average so called Tree Surgeon I need one that understands Walnut Trees if anyone could point me towards one in the Abingdon area.. 

• 28/09/2017 02:22 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hope it doesn't die BML as we don 't want your wife after you!

poppikin