Skip navigation.

Caryopteris Heavenly Blue

Last post 10-09-2017 1:35 AM by sleepy violet. 5 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

• 01/09/2017 11:42 AM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I love this shrub and liked it so much I bought one from the RHS. It was about to flower for the first time but the leaves' tips started to curl up and the flowers seem to have been lost. Does anyone know what this is please? Sleepyviolet

• 03/09/2017 07:43 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Possibly shock' it will probably have been raised in sheltered conditions and then exposure to drying winds, different watering regime. You don't say whether or not you have planted it out, this could be another shock to it. Should recover keep an eye on it, water when it dries out and it soo start to produce new leafs. Flowers will be next year though.

• 07/09/2017 10:07 AM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I apologise Nigel I completely mislead you with this question. I should have said it has been planted for 2 or 3 years but this is the first time it was about to flower. I have had the light blue version growing magnificently for about 10 years here which is why I decided to get the dark blue one. I should also have said that I think the curled up leave tips is some kind of pest. I have now looked very closely at them and the surface of the leaves are now covered in very fine powder. I brushed this off the leaves which are full of pin holes but could not see anything on the back of the leaves. Sorry

• 07/09/2017 01:56 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Probably still environmental stress, don't know what your weather was like, but down here we had a dry warm spring with a distinctly cooler wetter period followed by very warm dry week or so at the end of August. As a result some of my plants were looking distinctly tired before the rain in July. If the powdery material is white then it could be powdery mildew which has been a problem for many this year, again stressed plants are more prone to it. Have a look at the other Caryopteris and see if they have poweder on them in which case it could just be a natural bloom that some leaves have. The pin holes could be caused by sap sucking pests.

Probablly just needs a feed a mulch and a little patience.

• 10/09/2017 12:48 AM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks Nigel. I know it's difficult without any pictures but it is not environmental stress. It has been fed and watered and had plenty of TLC. I have not had any of those problems with any of my plants. It's definitely a pest. I don't like spraying but I got a bit desperate and sprayed it with Provado which seems to have stopped it. I am then going to pick off the affected leaves. Thanks for help.

• 10/09/2017 01:35 AM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Nigel I have just done what I should have done before and looked at the RHS site which I tend not to do when I have had a plant for years.

It says this plant is susceptible to Capsid bugs and describes exactly what I have. It says that spraying with Provado was the right thing too. I have not come across them before.

Thanks for help.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/97161/i-Caryopteris-i-%C3%97-i-clandonensis-i-Heavenly-Blue/Details

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=484