Skip navigation.

Gardeners' Delight tomatoes: loss of integrity?

Last post 28-08-2017 9:32 AM by Nigel. 4 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

• 27/08/2017 04:11 PM
    • Bernard
    • West Riding of Yorkshire
    • 11 Jun 2012
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Is anyone here familiar with Gardeners' Delight tomatoes going back some years?

I have grown them for at least 20 years and in the last few years have become dubious about their identity. This year I an sure that what I have from T&M are not GD. I have grown them from seed along with Sungold and Akron - 6 plants each. I have 1lb per plant so far from each of the other two. GD, only 1lb in total. They are the right size but ripening very slowly - not typical in my experience. The flesh is somewhat pulpy - also not typical.

But the real clincher this year is that the flavour is nothing whatever as GD should be. If they had tasted like this when I started, I would never have chosen to grow them in the first place.

Does anyone agree or disagree?

Does anyone know enough about commercial seed sources to say whether I would necessarily expect the same result from some other supplier?

I told T&M about my reservations a couple of years ago. All I got in return was advice about growing tomatoes.

• 27/08/2017 04:37 PM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I grew Gardeners Delight for many years and had a similar experience. I found the flavour deteriorated yearly as did the general general plant health. They seemed to get that autumnal look earlier each year. I do recall discussing the matter with the then General Manager of Suttons at Hampton Court a few year back. I think his name was Tom ???? and he explained the situation beautifully. In essence I think his view was the the variety had become over bred. It was not an F1 Hybrid. I changed to Cherry Belle FI which was much more superior in every way but the Japanese breeders discontinued that so I now grow Apero Fi mini plum. To my mind the best cherry tom for eating quality is Piccolo but I believe the "rights' to this variety are owned by a chain store named "Tesco." However, there are now several good eating quality varieties on offer from several seedsmen. Dobies, T&M Forthergills etc etc

• 27/08/2017 08:28 PM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Interesting article here about Gardeners Delight. http://www.irishnews.com/lifestyle/2015/09/26/news/the-casual-gardener-the-tomato-that-no-longer-delights-271680/ Blackstart

• 27/08/2017 10:22 PM
    • Bernard
    • West Riding of Yorkshire
    • 11 Jun 2012
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I can certainly see that 'over-breeding' can be the cause. I do not believe that it is due to culture.Differences in culture during my early years of growing GD did result in problems with the plants but the flavour of the crop never varied until recent years. So it appears that we have lost it.

• 28/08/2017 09:32 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Agree with Backache; this drift in characteristics has been reported quite often, F1 hybrids are more stable. This drift is one of the reasons for running trials. Also you can get quite a bit of variation in plants raised from the same packet of seed with non F1 varieties.