Skip navigation.

Japanese anemone looking a bit sickly?

Last post 03-06-2017 4:15 PM by GardeningFin. 5 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

• 29/04/2017 09:34 AM
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi there, My Japanese anemone, that I planted a couple of weeks ago, are looking a bit sickly. They have a lovely spot in which to grow and I've prepared the soil well - they should be thriving, but their leave look a bit mottled. I'm wondering if anyone could help shed some light on this - could it be a virus or a deficiency. https://ibb.co/jCOXBQ https://ibb.co/kj2g5k I'm a bit confused as they should have everything going for them and hoping for lovely, health plants this season. Thanks Fin

• 29/04/2017 07:16 PM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I can't see any pictures with that link I'm afraid. Blackstart

• 29/04/2017 07:55 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

A couple of points first of all they have only been planted a couple of weeks, where they bare rooted or growing well in pots?. Secondly we've had some cold nights recently which could have slowed them down, knocked them back a bit. Have you watered them well as it's been a dry spring..

• 09/05/2017 06:22 PM
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I bought them in pots. They've been well watered. It could perhaps be the shock of the recent cold winds. I'm hoping it's not a virus which would be surprising as they've been bought as healthy plants. Thanks Fin

• 10/05/2017 06:07 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Having checked your photos, I think they look quite healthy plants. Depending on variety, some prefer sun and some prefer shade, I have found, so hope you have the right plant in the right place. My Honorine Joubert are in bright sun all day long and are fine, but the pink ones (can't recall name) don't do well in sun so have moved them to a shadier area and now they seem fine. You haven't mentioned which ones you have. My plants have darker leaves then yours but that may be because of the variety.

• 03/06/2017 04:15 PM
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks for the reply Minnie. I'm pleased to say that they now look much healthier. In fact they are thriving with lovely dark leaves at the moment. Not sure, they seemed to be sulking for a few weeks! Many thanks Fin