Skip navigation.

Reasonably fast growing ornamental conifers.

Last post 29-04-2017 7:29 PM by Blackstart. 1 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

• 26/04/2017 09:08 AM
    • BML
    • 14 Feb 2010
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

A poor poverty stricken farmer has sold the field behind where I live and where I used to be able to see Deer, Pheasant's and other wild life filling it with second rate housing which I want to block the sight of.

I think that a few tall reasonably fast growing ornamental conifers would do the job strategically placed. I would even consider paying for pot grown trees that are already a decent height.

Could someone please advise as the very sight of those rabbit box hoses depresses me.

• 29/04/2017 07:29 PM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

The problem here is that you are almost inviting someone to suggest Leylandii. I will never do that as the occasions when Leylandii hedges are justified are very rare because of the problems they cause with owners and their neighbours. Can you afford a trellis fence or a 6' foot fence with 2' of trellis on top? You could then have a greater choice of plants to select from. The only conifer I would suggest is Yew, but this is not particularly fast growing and it would be expensive to buy large pot grown stock. They are also poisonous of course. How about a mixed hedge of Hornbeam, Beech, Holly and Hawthorn etc. They can be quite quick growing and benefit wildlife as well. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=351 Blackstart