Skip navigation.

Can I plant M9 fruit trees in pots?

Last post 11-01-2017 6:49 PM by Minnie77uk. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 07/01/2017 07:04 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I am just about to order 4 fruit trees and, as these are for my daughter, they need to start their life in pots before she finally has the ground prepared for them to be permanently planted. I am hoping they can be grown in pots for a year or 2 but would appreciate your advice on minimum size of pot and growing medium, please? The trees will be M9 (small) size and will be 2-years old from a nursery. Many thanks.

• 09/01/2017 12:51 PM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Minnie, the apple trees should be fine in pots for a year or two as long as they are well maintained. Watering is key and likely to be the source of any problems. I would have thought 10-20 litre pots filled with John Innes No 2 or 3 would suffice. Regards Blackstart

• 11/01/2017 06:49 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks for advice, Blackstart. I think I have some pots that will do and, yes, watering is everything, as I learnt to my cost when my daughter bought me a Czar plum tree 3 years ago. It lost its fruit the year I got it and it looked quite forlorn but grew a few new twigs the following year and then last year, it re-grew new leaders and I am hoping that this spring it will flower and maybe fruit again. Because I couldn't get it into the ground immediately, I also didn't water it enough, so have learned a very harsh lesson!