Skip navigation.

Where have all the birds gone?

Last post 09-12-2016 5:32 PM by Blackstart. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 09/12/2016 06:05 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

This time last year I had masses of birds at my peanut feeders throughout the garden. This year I have none. I have even cleaned out the feeders and put fresh peanuts in case there was an issue but there are still none. What has happened to them? poppikin

• 09/12/2016 08:33 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Some comments here.

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/alarming.116273/#post-1055751

A lot of Fieldfares have been reported locally.

Given the cold wet spring early summer it's not a great surprise.

I don't put any food out for the birds and I have fairly constant numbers of a variety of birds.

• 09/12/2016 05:32 PM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi folks, well I am happy to say that there is no shortage of birds in my garden at the moment. We get Blue, Coal, Great, & Long-tailed T*ts, Nuthatch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Robin, Wren, Collared Doves, Wood Pigeon, Jackdaw, Magpie and Blackbirds regularly every day. Less regular are Bullfinch, House Sparrow, Starling, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Goldcrest, Siskin and Redpoll (last 2 more likely after Christmas). The foods I put out for them are peanuts, sunflower hearts, fat balls, suet blocks and niger seed. Virtually all of these are enclosed in caged feeders to prevent the regular Grey Squirrels from mopping up everything. The larger birds come to food we occasionally put out on the ground feeder trays or the stray seed that falls from the feeders. We also have a Hedgehog (sometimes up to 3) that visits each evening and I put out a handful of dried mealworms for them which they love. Of the different types of food I put in the bird-feeders, sunflower hearts is by far the most popular. I have to fill up two feeders with them each day. I would say that out of all the smaller birds that come to feed, 99% go first for the sunflower hearts. I buy a 25kg bag every couple of months. Blackstart