Skip navigation.

Raspberry cultivar advice

Last post 04-11-2015 8:56 AM by Nell. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 28/10/2015 11:21 AM
    • runner_bean
    • East Sussex
    • 06 Dec 2012
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I have well manured but very heavy clay in my fruit cage.  Last Autumn I planted the Autumn variety Polka which has performed spectacularly, and alongside the Summer variety Glen Ample, but this has more or less failed even though I replanted some canes in the Spring.  Existing summer fruiting canes there when I bought the house ten years ago are still performing, although perhaps a little weak, and I should like to replant to get a better crop.

I would like to try and understand why one variety is succeeding whilst the other is failing.  Is there a more suitable Summer variety that I should be planting instead of Glen Ample?

• 28/10/2015 05:17 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

If you google the James Hutton Institute you will find a huge amount of information on raspberries & their recent development. I think you can e mail them for advice too. K

• 04/11/2015 08:56 AM
    • Nell
    • Mid Wales
    • 19 Mar 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It just shows how different conditions can affect the plants - I had the opposite experience, also on a clay soil, but further north! My Glen Ample have done well and the Polka were very patchy. I lost quite a few of the plants and of those which survived one did very well, but the others were mediocre.