Skip navigation.

What type of fertilizer?

Last post 07-04-2015 9:07 AM by Backache. 46 replies.

Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

• 23/02/2015 07:26 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Well, my 10K tub ( with a plastic handle (!?) is powder without blue flecks, the same as the sacks I used to buy. Not sure what the blue flecks are unless it is just an application marker. Hmm. K

• 23/02/2015 09:14 PM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

When I used to work for a living one of my jobs as apprentice gardener was to mix up 2 or 3 cubic metres of potting compost prior to any potting sessions we would be carrying out. I would use different base fertilisers depending on what was required, e,g, Ficote, J Innes, Osmocote ,etc including Vitax Q4. I used to have to add something called 'Frit' to some of the composts but not, as I recall, to the Vitax mix. 'Frit' was a fertiliser of 'trace elements' aka micronutrients and was required as some fertilisers often just contained the basic macro nutrients (N P K etc). As far as I can remember, Frit was blue, so could this be the blue fleck in VQ4? Sorry if I've been a bit boring. Blackstart

• 24/02/2015 07:28 AM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Well. Poppikin, Kaydee and Blackstart. This is a funny business. Firstly I am very pleased to note they have replaced that horrible wire handle on the tubs with a plastic one. I have been using VitaxQ4 for many years. Mostly the 20kg sacks but more recently, following a period of hefty price rises, the 10 kg tub. To the best of my knowledge both always contained a light coloured powder with this blue fleck. I am not trying to say that it was a bluish powder but the fleck was there and most certainly visible. Sounds to me as if there has been a formulation adjustment. My local garden centre is currently ill disposed to stock these larger packs with the manager mumbling something about slow sellers. He also had a January sale offer of the smaller carton packs which I took advantage of. This is quite a different product looking like brown finely chopped beef mince and with a pronounced "poultry fragrance". I really cannot say whether there is any difference in the performance of the two products but when I finish my stock of the small cartons I shall be ordering some of the larger packs of the powder off the internet. I do hope I am not responsible for giving nightmares to anyone. Good luck

• 24/02/2015 10:50 AM
    • gordino
    • surrey
    • 30 Mar 2013
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

i have heard chicken pellets are good.

• 24/02/2015 11:51 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have now had a long telephone conversation with the Vitax company.   I was attracted to the blue flecks in the Q4 mentioned by Backache because I then read on the internet that they made bigger veg and flowers than the Q4 without the flecks. Vitax said this was not true as the “blue” is a dye added to all of the powder 10 Kg and 20 Kg (and has always been) and the purpose is to identify the slow release elements that have been added to the powder which are necessary as otherwise the nutrients would release too quickly.  I was told that it follows the “flecks” will be in Kaydee’s new tub as well as any old sacks that anyone may have. It was said that the “blue” is only a tinge and barely visible and sometimes comes out darker/lighter than others and sometimes only a shimmer.  I was also told that the pellets have exactly the same make up as the powder but because of their structure do not need the slow release elements needed by the powder so that both products release nutrients at the same rate over time.  It was said to be a myth that either pellets or powder produce better flowers or veg than the other as they are the same.  The plastic handle on the tub is the latest version.  This is what I am buying.  For the 10Kg sack http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00969HWT8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE   For the 20Kg sack http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BHUJOSG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13UACNITTOPPV  

poppikin

• 24/02/2015 12:27 PM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Excellent detective work Poppikin and most valuable information. Thank you. I shall shortly be buying the same as you have. Thank you too Blackstart.

• 27/02/2015 03:48 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

When I was first looking for "blue flecks" I asked Amazon if they are contained in the 10Kg tubs and 20Kg sacks of Vitax Q4 they sell.

I have just heard from Amazon that yes they do and Amazon have done a physical check as well as their own enquiry with Vitax.

I see from the tracking that my 10Kg tub is wending its way down the motorway so later on today I shall have a look.

poppikin

• 28/02/2015 07:41 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have now had a further message from Amazon concerning the enquiry they made with Vitax on my behalf regarding the Q4 being sold by Amazon.

Amazon say that they have been updated by Vitax "that this product does normally contain blue flecks, although in certain production runs the flecks may also be white".

I think this is becoming a bit clearer now and seems to confirm that we all have the slow release elements flecks added to our Q4.

poppikin

• 28/02/2015 01:08 PM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

i really have never understood why Vitax have quite different products with the same name. A light coloured powder and the dark brown pellets. One a little smelly and the other not. Sometimes a blue fleck and sometimes not. Then there used to be another Vitax product for shrubs and conifers in 20 kg sacks which had a much higher nitrogen formulation also called Q4. I think that this one has now been discontinued but I may be wrong. Despite all this I have always found the end result with my fruit, vegetables and flowers be most satisfactory and will continue to use it. After all what is wrong with a little confusion. It helps to keep me awake in the daytime.

• 28/02/2015 06:24 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I'm glad that's sorted! I was beginning to wonder if we had another black/blue/white/gold issue! Best K

• 02/03/2015 07:17 PM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Ha ha. Very clever. Kaydee. I have just seen what you getting at in a programme about that " dress " on the Spanish TV.

• 03/03/2015 11:06 PM
    • gordino
    • surrey
    • 30 Mar 2013
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

spring will soon be here, are there many people on this site lol.

• 03/03/2015 11:07 PM
    • gordino
    • surrey
    • 30 Mar 2013
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

i think im the only person here.

• 04/03/2015 09:04 AM
    • Nell
    • Mid Wales
    • 19 Mar 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

No you are not ..... I read quite often, but don't post that much! As you say spring is here and today at least the sun is shining. I have potatoes chitting and seeds sown, but a backlog of ground clearing is needed before anything can go out ... busy, busy...

• 04/03/2015 09:55 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I am here too.

poppikin