Skip navigation.

Sources of plant material

Last post 11-01-2015 4:31 PM by Julie. 8 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

• 14/11/2014 11:23 AM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Does anyone else use their local 'Trash Nothing' website to source their plant material? Yesterday I collected some Helenium bare root plants from a 'freecycler' and they look to be in excellent condition. I've temporarily planted them in the veg bed until the weather improves enough for me to find them a permanent home in the flower beds. As this is a local gardener, the plants should be able to acclimatise easily to our clay garden and, what is even better, these were free! Anyone else tried this?

• 15/11/2014 10:29 AM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Minnie77, I have never used anything to do with a 'freecycle' scheme but it sounds a good idea, although I would perhaps be curious as to where plant material comes from in case of any risk importing pests or diseases which may not be immediately obvious when inspecting any plants. I felt I should reply if only to spark some life into the forum which has been very inactive lately. Regards Blackstart

• 15/11/2014 05:05 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I'd not heard of this at all so googled to find there are two groups near by. There were several items on the lists for gardening. Agree you would need to quarantine plants to begin with but it does all sound such a common sense idea. Not a lot of that about these days...Thanks. K

• 16/11/2014 04:19 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I think that Minnie77uk getting plants from a local gardener is a very nice thing to do.

We have quite a lot of freecycle groups around here.  I belonged to one for quite a while but admit I never thought of looking for gardening things.

My experience was that by the time the moderators sent the emails out with what was on offer things had already gone so I gave up asking for anything.

Then my inbox was getting flooded with messages so I stopped.

In principle it is a very good idea.

poppikin

• 17/11/2014 09:04 AM
    • Nell
    • Mid Wales
    • 19 Mar 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

This forum has been a valuable source of plant material for me!!! Roots can be posted and will grow well if planted on quickly. But as Minnie says local sources are also good. I got some raspberry canes from a neighbour which did far better than those I bought from a reputable company! I suspect this was because they were out of his garden and into mine within a day and were much stronger than the bare rooted plants I bought. Another source of material has been plant sales (and raffle prizes!) at my local garden club and plant sales at gardens open under the NGS.

• 17/11/2014 07:16 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks everyone for responding to my enquiry. Our Freecycle doesn't often have anything of interest to me but some 'requests' (not garden material) have resulted in me offloading stuff that I have had laying around unused for some time and has helped to clear all sorts of items out of the house / garage. Regarding concerns about quarantine, I was invited to see the garden of the man who was dividing plants and even got some advice and opinion about the plants. The plants were freshly dug up and looked alive. I had not considered quarantining them was necessary as they had travelled all of 3 miles to my home. I'd be more likely to 'quarantine' plants bought from a nursery, I think.

• 10/12/2014 10:08 PM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Minnie.

I think this is a grand idea.  Sad to say, we are living in a throwaway world. 

Growmore.
  • 11/12/2014 09:38 AM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I work in a lot of gardens and generally make a point of quaranting plants, especially if they've been dug out of a garden and haven't come from a nursery. A few of the gardens I work in have problems with particular weeds - ground elder and bind weed are common, but one has black horehound (Ballota nigra) which is horrible and very invasive. In winter, you don't know they're there but they spring back up from the roots as soon as the weather warms. If I don't quarantine, then I carefully wash the roots and pull out anything that isn't obviously the desired plant.

• 11/01/2015 04:31 PM
    • Julie
    • London
    • 28 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have used freecycle both to get stuff and clear stuff I didn't want, never plants though but good for pots, etc.

One of the best places for free plants is the skip at the local garden centre!