Skip navigation.

Placing of threads ie over the garden fence & idle chat

Last post 06-10-2013 8:32 PM by poppy1. 13 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

• 04/10/2013 08:43 AM
    • poppy1
    • france
    • 04 Sep 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Ive found that "Over the garden fence has Idle chat all on the same page,

Wouldnt it be better to give idle chat (thats been unsed for ages until latley its completet own thread ????

Its getting (idle chat) confussed with over the garden fence!!!!!

One title for each thread is whats required

ie if you want to talk to idle chat members you'll know your talking to them because they'd have their own titled thread and not on the same page as others,

same go's for over the garden fence people.  (one title per subject please)

• 04/10/2013 11:10 AM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I don't understand what you're saying here poppy1Huh?

'Idle chat' is a thread which is in the 'Over the garden fence' forum.  The 'Idle chat' thread was created for people to talk to one another - it has never been a "them and us situation", as you seem to be implying, as the thread has always been open to anyone who wants to use it.  

Granted, the thread has not been used much lately as since the RHS mentioned that the forums would be closing, some members have already stopped posting and have gone elsewhere.

sue1002
  • 04/10/2013 11:58 AM
    • Valerian
    • South Essex
    • 20 Jun 2010
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

"Waves" Sue.

• 04/10/2013 01:07 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I don't understand either. The 'Idle Chat' thread has been going for some eight years and is now in its second incarnation, having started on the old forum.

It's always been open to anyone who wants to go off-topic, so there has never been any need or call - until now - to have 'one title per subject' or to start multiple threads, as we just go to Idle Chat and talk there. It's straight forward and it's worked for many years.

• 04/10/2013 01:15 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Not really sure were you are coming from with this.  Idle chatis a thread within the over the garden fence folder. For a long time it was the most active thread, this fell away earlier this year with the closure threat and more recently there seems to have been a problem with posting on it, or a lot of people were all away at the same time.

Nigel

• 05/10/2013 08:46 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hmmmm, I'm confused too SueConfused.

I am still here, lurking in the shadows Wink

• 06/10/2013 10:12 AM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Keeping all the general chatty stuff in one place seems sensible to me. That way the more straightforward gardening queries and debates wouldn't get lost among the plethora of new discussions on non gardening topics.

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 06/10/2013 10:23 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hear hear Phot's Smile

• 06/10/2013 10:36 AM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hear hear, indeed and 'plethora' is the right word.

A quote seems fitting:

'Prayer of an Anonymous Abbess:

Lord, thou knowest better than myself that I am growing older and will soon be old. Keep me from becoming too talkative, and especially from the unfortunate habit of thinking that I must say something on every subject and at every opportunity.

Release me from the idea that I must straighten out other peoples' affairs. With my immense treasure of experience and wisdom, it seems a pity not to let everybody partake of it. But thou knowest, Lord, that in the end I will need a few friends. Keep me from the recital of endless details...' 

• 06/10/2013 10:48 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Big SmileBig Smile

Thank you for making my day Miranda Wink

• 06/10/2013 11:17 AM
    • Valerian
    • South Essex
    • 20 Jun 2010
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

"Waves" Lilleyrose How are you keeping these days it seems an age since I saw any of your posts. I've been surfing the stairs again, as my nephew calls it. So I've been very sore and stiff over the last few weeks, but that hasn't stopped me from getting into the garden. I can't managed to do as much as I would like but I do as much as I can each day and then stop. Do please keep in touch.

• 06/10/2013 11:42 AM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Nice one, MirandaBig Smile

Hello again, lillyroseSmile

Please be careful on the stairs, Valerian!

sue1002
  • 06/10/2013 01:25 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

*waves back* Hello Valerian Smile. Yes, please do take care on the stairs. That is one thing I don't miss in my new bungalow, stairs!!!

Hello Sue Smile

• 06/10/2013 08:32 PM
    • poppy1
    • france
    • 04 Sep 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Now just hang on a minute, and try the shoe on the other foot,

Ive been a member for a very short time and what do a read "whats happend to idle chat forum,

As a new member i'd not seen this forum and then im told its on page two!!!!!

Ive never said or tried to put it about us & them and to be honest if this is how long term members are goning to treat someone who's just become a member ive know doubt this complete forum will loose members,

Ask your self or better still "Look" how many members are writing anything from the start to the end of the average week on these forums?????

Anyone can be nasty, good manners are not a knew thing and cost no more today as they did 20 years ago.

So have a second re-think about what you've had to say and the way you've said it.

Im 65 years of age and i really try hard to help when i can, but to be branded as some sort of "us & them "person,

Well what a load of rubbish.

I really do feel one or two people want to re- read what they had to say ref this subject.

If your so interested in titles and having threads that are easy to find, I'd honestly say going by the last dates some threads we're used this whole forum needs a re-think of whats being used and whats just taking up space.

The reason i said i feel the idle chat should have its own thread is because you yourselves could'nt find it on the forum never mind over the fence thread,

if it had its thread then no excuses, you'd know it's location by its heading.