Skip navigation.

Holes in my tomatoes

Last post 28-09-2013 10:33 PM by GROWMORE. 6 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

• 28/09/2013 01:19 PM
    • Paul
    • 16 Jun 2010
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I'm growing Italian plum tomatoes (Marzano) in my greenhouse but just as they are getting ripe large holes appear in them as if they are being eaten. No sign of caterpillars but there are a few spiders in there - could they be the culprits. Other than that I can only think of mice but again I have seen no sign of them. Any thoughts?

• 28/09/2013 02:58 PM
    • AlexS
    • Reading
    • 06 Sep 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Blackbirds? Starlings? Large holes doesn't sound like caterpillars or spiders, it sounds like birds. Could they be getting in? Cheers,

Alex
  • 28/09/2013 03:34 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It could be slugs and snails as I've found both on my outdoor ones, although they won't get any more because my outdoor ones have just been binned as the plants have now got blight...

sue1002
  • 28/09/2013 03:59 PM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I had to bin my outdoor ones yesterday but they did survive for a month longer than last year so I suppose I should be thankful. I don't like using the approved controls as they all seem to leave a bluish deposit which makes the fruit appear somewhat unappetising

• 28/09/2013 04:32 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

My guess would be slugs.

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 28/09/2013 06:52 PM
    • poppy1
    • france
    • 04 Sep 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

If you feel it is slugs the remedy is simple  "gravel or small pea size stones " slugs dont like rough sharp edges, a sure way to check this is to put a bottle of brown ale (smell's stonger than light ale)  in a low edged dish (plastic butter tubs size) and leave this very near to the base of your tom's.

Slugs will go for ale before toms and in the morning you'll find the tub with dead slugs in it .

Mice dont leave holes more like gauged narrow channel but not that long,

Ps Do you leave the greenhouse open of an evening ie windows, the door?

If so you can get very fine stiff plastic netting to fit inside the window opening this allows you to have the windows open without birds getting in, same for the doorway entrance.

• 28/09/2013 10:33 PM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I am at a bit of a loss here.  Firstly.  I no longer grow toms.  However.  Might it be possible to provide us with a picture.  We all have our own ways, words and terminology at describing damage.  After all.  Some might refer to skin splitting, as being holed.  A wee bit of detective work.  Slugs and snails tend to leave their trade mark or calling card.  The silver trail.  However the really tiny baby snails, do not leave any marks trails etc.  The suggestion of bird damage.  Now then. Do the damaged fruits have a single hole, or perhaps several.  Birds are apt to as it appears.  To peck about, until a softspot is found.  What about beetles.  These beggars leave no calling cards.  There are of course night fliers, moths etc.  Once again no calling cards, unless one looks closer.  Basically in the natural world.  Life comprises of, eating and drinking, growing and developing reproduction and, good night vienna.  As the lower forms of life operate at a far greater speed than humans.  What goes in, tends to come out, at a much faster rate.  So.  Could it be mice. Look around for droppings.  Even birds usually take in a couple of beakfulls and then plat.  Trul. A picture would help very much.

Growmore.