Skip navigation.

unripened melons

Last post 20-09-2013 9:50 PM by GROWMORE. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 20/09/2013 04:34 PM
    • Kath
    • Manchester
    • 18 Jan 2010
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I tried melons in my new greenhouse this year; the variety name I don't have at hand but it's a Cantaloupe or Galia type. With the cold weather that came in last week, the plant yellowed and died off leaving the one fruit I have not yet ripe. So the question is, how do I ripen it off the vine? Is this possible?

• 20/09/2013 09:45 PM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Sever the fruit from the plant.  Place it in a net-type bag or even a ladies stocking.  Hang the whole lot up in a well ventilated, dry area.  When the fruit is ripe.  You will be able to gently press the botton  end, [where the flower had been]  As soon as you feel it giving way.  The fruit is ready for eating.  Don't let the fruit rest against anything.  This will prevent bruising and rotting.

Growmore.
  • 20/09/2013 09:50 PM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Welcome to the forum Kath.

Cut the fruit from the plant. Place it in a net type bag or even a lady's stocking.  Hang the lot up, in a dry place.  Dont allow the fruit to touch or rest on anything.  That will prevent bruising and rotting.  When you can gently depress the scar, left by the flower.  Then the fruit is ripe.

Growmore.