Skip navigation.

uknown fruit

Last post 18-09-2013 5:20 PM by poppy1. 8 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

• 17/09/2013 04:42 PM
    • peterkburns
    • United Kingdom
    • 05 Jul 2013
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Does anyone know what these fruit are please.

• 17/09/2013 05:20 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Not certain here but try goggling greengages & see if the description fits.

• 17/09/2013 06:29 PM
    • peterkburns
    • United Kingdom
    • 05 Jul 2013
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

yes it looks like them thanks.

• 17/09/2013 06:51 PM
    • poppy1
    • france
    • 04 Sep 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

The fruit your showing is very common here in france (ive three trees ) and they are called mirabelle, "I think the spelling is correct"

It's a really nice fruit and it makes a nice crumble or can be served with ice cream etc,

They do have stones inside so be warned.

It bottles well and last for years if bottled in sealed jars, very handy if your caught out with last minute visitors.

Nice fruit.

• 17/09/2013 09:53 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Interesting - Marks & Sparks sell a Sparkling Fruit Juice called Apple & Mirabelle which uses Normandy apples and 'ripe Mirabelle plums'.  Does this means English greengages are French plums?

The drink is lovely and refreshingly non-alcoholic - yum!

• 17/09/2013 10:23 PM
    • poppy1
    • france
    • 04 Sep 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi minnie,

Id not heard of these tree grapes (As my french neighbours call them) before we came to live here,

You can eat them un-cooked and when they're ripe they are sweet tasting very much like the green grapes off the vine.

They are another fruit well worth growing, the birds love them and one of my dogs loves them.

• 18/09/2013 09:58 AM
    • peterkburns
    • United Kingdom
    • 05 Jul 2013
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

According to google they where imported from France by William Gage 7th baronet from where they get their name from.

• 18/09/2013 03:53 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I'm sure that years ago you could easily buy them in UK greengrocers but haven't seen them for many, many years.  Without doing some more research, I wonder if the fruit fell out of favour with the British public as I believe they are not as sweet as plums and the supermarkets have probably dictated what fruit is saleable nowadays.  I think I recall that they made excellent jam, or was that jelly?

• 18/09/2013 05:20 PM
    • poppy1
    • france
    • 04 Sep 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Minnei,

Ive been a good boy today & helped the wife by going into the supermarket with her to push the trolly around "As the norm i sit in the car reading"

(I hate going in these places because people stand and chat in the isle's and then look at you as you say sorry as you try to get past them,

And then old ladies crash into your heels with their trolly and then smile and say sorry, and then do it again later,

But today i braved the trolly dash and my wife asked me to go to the fruit & veg counter and get some limes (one thing i dont grow myself)

Anyway as i was looking for "Limes" i came across the supermarkets special buy 'wheel barrow' of fruit, And guess whats todays best cheaper than norm buy??????????????????? 

Yes "Mirabelle" 

So here in france they are still very much used.

Supermarkets really have killed the sales of so many fruits, apples being one of the ones im thinking about, you only see a few varieties on sale and yet ive just read the victory gardening book (from the tv series of the same name) and its said  not that long ago you could expect 180 different apples being grown and sold at any one time.

When we bought this house i found an overgrown orchard and one of the apple trees in it has an apple that has a slightly light greyish /blue skin and when ripe the reddish coloured main skin, its a very dry sweet apple.

Ive not seen this apple before we found it in our the back garden.

I wonder how many other people have found the not very well known fruit growing in their gardens,?