Skip navigation.

Courgettes fruiting problems

Last post 17-08-2013 10:01 PM by GROWMORE. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 15/08/2013 06:08 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Can anyone help, I'm confused about why baby courgettes sometimes go soft and squishy instead of growing properly. Also when do you need to grow two courgette plants and when will one do? I had thought that the soft, squishy problem was due to lack of pollination. But my first courgettes (I've just got one plant) developed beautifully - even though there were no male flowers open at this time. But all the recent female courgettes have gone soft and not developed when only a couple of inches long. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

• 15/08/2013 08:31 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

The poor pollination seems to be worse when the conditions are cooler & will improve when it gets a bit warmer.Just recently read somewhere that it is better to water the soil/compost rather that the plant to reduce the fruit going soft & rotten.

• 17/08/2013 10:01 PM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Quite correct Kaydee.  There is so much involved with growing some of these fruits/vegetables.  They often present problems with pollination, sometimes requiring hand pollination etc.  Nitrogen is often lacking and needs to be counteracted.  On the point of watering.  The soil is what requires watering.  As with marrows.  If the fruit is watered too much.  It can cause rotting and or, affect the taste/flavour of the fruit.  If the soil is watered, then the absorbtion of the moiture is automaticall treated by the makeup of the plant.  On the otherhand.  Too much moisture to the newly forming fruit, will penetrate the fruit, turn rancid and that's it.  In particular hot spells a gentle light spraying, similar to what you'd give to runner beans, to assist the flowers to set.  Is of benefit.  In the case of marrows, cougettes etc it is a good idea to place some straw or hay beneath the fruits.

Growmore.