Skip navigation.

Closing RHS forums

Last post 20-02-2018 7:02 AM by Nigel. 225 replies.

Page 14 of 16 (226 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next >

• 17/07/2015 08:43 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Here is the response from the RHS

Hello Nigel,

We couldn't agree more, the MyGarden forum is long overdue to be phased out. Have you registered with the main website since it was relaunched? (https://www.rhs.org.uk/Register) Registration enables you to view and participate in discussions within our Advice section, for instance:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/Profile?pID=698&cID=1240

The discussion feature will be rolled out across other areas of the site over the next 6-12 months and this is ultimately what will replace the forum. That is the current plan.

Not particularly enlightening, at best we continue to limp along as now for 6 - 12months. 

• 17/07/2015 08:50 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have had no problems logging in recently.

• 17/07/2015 09:00 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hello Bluebird, Just had a quick glance at your forum. It looks great. Have bookmarked & intending to register. Yours might be just what we need when this one fades away. Best K

• 17/07/2015 09:07 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

For completeness find below my response to the RHS

Dear Sir
    I have registered with the main website and am aware of the conversation and comments and am not impressed. I wouldn't bother rolling them out any further until they work properly. For example taking the link you sent me
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/Profile?pID=698&cID=1240 Many of the replies are duplicates including 12 from an RHS  staff member. They are linked to the topic and there is no central place where you can see what is currently under discussion, there appears to be no ability to post pictures. In other words not a substitute for a proper forum.
    Nigel 

• 18/07/2015 05:24 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Having taken a quick tour of what's on offer on the main RHS site, it looks to me as if it is deliberately excluding non-members. Whilst I appreciate that may be their intention, it does exclude a large number of the participants on this extremely valuable website. I too may migrate to Bluebird's website and would suggest that he/she looks at the 'topics currently available in this set of forums and consider upgrading his/her one to ensure we don't lose all the topics. Not a criticism, but some potentially useful advice, as we are now fairly used to these forum options. Didn't see if there was a 'posts not read' option but maybe that's complex to include. Maybe see you on the 'other side' when this forum closes.

• 18/07/2015 07:32 PM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thank you very much, Nigel, for this information. My latest (unofficial) advice indicates that the Forum's future may depend on how well it is patronised and how sensible and uncontroversial are the postings.

• 30/11/2015 07:56 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It has been two weeks since the last post and longer sunce the last new thread.

Perhaps someone at the RHS could switch the server off and let this forum die peacefully. 

• 30/11/2015 08:40 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Noooooooo! It's only because it's winter and cold and wet and windy. I, for one, keep looking at all the trimming that needs doing in the garden but I don't want the open cuts to suffer if we are going to get snow in the Midlands soon. PLEASE keep this forum open.

• 30/11/2015 09:26 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes, I think it is the time of year & wet weather that is stopping any gardening. The only on-line activity seems to be the plant & seed merchants having end of season sales drives. K

• 01/12/2015 06:54 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Morning: now be careful l we don't want to overload the server with this sudden flurry of activityBig Smile.

While I am glad there are other people out there, given the amount of activity on other sites perhaps the time has come to let this one go quietly.

• 01/12/2015 10:30 AM
    • rosie-helen
    • up north
    • 02 Feb 2015
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It's awfully wet here in Yorkshire- so not much gardening done lately.Sad

I've planted all my bulbs now, so  endlessly sweeping leaves isn't very exciting a topic to talk about is it? Smile

I hope everyone is keeping warm and dry.

x

• 01/12/2015 10:32 AM
    • rosie-helen
    • up north
    • 02 Feb 2015
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I for one, would be sorry to lose the site, hope it won't happen. We do indeed need more activity here, don't we?

• 04/12/2015 05:49 PM
    • Faraway
    • Berkshire
    • 15 Oct 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Maybe that is just what the RHS wants - for us to just give up and go away. This forum needs to be back on the front page of the RHS main web page, so that others and new members see it, join and participate. At the moment, it is pretty much non existent, hence no or hardly any, new members. Needs a proper platform and a bit of TLC. Due to my work at present, I have very little spare time, so my main use of the RHS is the Garden magazine and this forum. I was recently sent a survey about my membership and I have stated that if this forum closes, I will not be renewing my membership. Just my position, but I don't think a forum is too much to ask.

• 05/12/2015 07:53 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I'm not sure the RHS want anything, they are probably quite happy to let the forum run  until the server breaks or they need it's space for something else, as it's been nearly three years since closure was announced.. Most of the new members are probably "bots". The problem being that the RHS gets neither money nor publicity from this forum unlike it's Facebook presence. Putting the forum on the RHS front page won't happen as they would lose advertising or publicity space.

Weather here terrible again and only fit for catalogues and gardening books.

• 07/12/2015 09:39 AM
    • rosie-helen
    • up north
    • 02 Feb 2015
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

What's a 'bot', Nigel? Tongue Tied