Skip navigation.

Closing RHS forums

Last post 14-02-2017 4:38 PM by kaydee. 223 replies.

Page 1 of 15 (224 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

• 13/02/2013 04:41 PM
    • admin
    • 20 Nov 2003
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

We are currently redesigning the RHS website, with many exciting new functions and developments.  The new site will offer many more opportunities for you to be involved in the community of RHS users. The new site will be launched in mid-March and we would encourage you to join our new website as a ‘registered user’, where you will be able to: add comments to online articles, add comments to blogs and bookmark webpages to add to your own personal area (visible when you log in). If you register and are an RHS member you will also be able to access exclusive articles, videos and podcasts.

This does mean that we will be closing down the MyGarden forums. As other forms of social media become more popular, numbers have been declining and it is no longer viable for us to run a separate forum board.

We have a very active Facebook group,with over 20,000 likes, and very active discussions. You could post your plant identification questions on this page – our RHS advisors do regularly pop onto these pages.

And if you like to tweet, follow us on twitter.

If you would like any of the posts you have made on MyGarden, please take this chance to copy and paste any of your posts into your own records. We will be closing the forums and deleting all posts and threads after 18 March.

Once again, thank you for your support over the years, and we hope to see all of you on the new website!

RHS web team

• 13/02/2013 05:30 PM
    • Faraway
    • Berkshire
    • 15 Oct 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Ok, well here goes....
    Personally I think this is a very poor decision.  This forum has always had a bit of a "clunky" and old-fashioned feel and may have contributed to the decline in numbers, although I would be interested to know these numbers.

The advantage of this forum is for people of all ages and abilities to "chat" to their peers.  Being able to add comments to blogs and articles written by, I assume, highly qualified people on the "new" site is no replacement for being able to chat and get advice without fear of ridicule.  There are many very helpful people on this forum.

I for one, really dislike Facebook and very seldom even look at it.  I think you will be losing people (and possibly prospective new RHS members) to other forums such as Gardeners World and others.

• 13/02/2013 05:52 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks for letting us know admin.  It will be a shame that the forums are closing but I do understand that times and people's habits are changing and we have to 'move with them'.

As an RHS member with my own log-in for the current members area, will my current log in be automatically transferred to the new site or will I need to register again please?

sue1002
  • 13/02/2013 06:10 PM
    • RogerB
    • Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
    • 14 Jan 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I too will be sorry to see the forums go. As Faraway says, it is an ideal opportunity to chat to other like-minded gardeners. On Facebook you have to go looking for people whereas on here we all come to the same place. On Facebook, being active is not the same as being able to interact.

How about a 'members only' forum of some description which would be easier to monitor?

Give it a go - it might just work!
  • 13/02/2013 07:40 PM
    • AlexS
    • Reading
    • 06 Sep 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I too shall be sorry to say goodbye to this forum, with its friendly and knowledgeable atmosphere. I'll miss Silver Surfer's encyclopaedic knowledge; Pesty's authoritative posts on anything chemical; Courier Dude's robust directness; all the idle chatters; and everyone else, beginners and experts alike. This is the only forum I've been involved in, and like Roger I don't think facebook offers the same experience. Are there other forums people would recommend?

Alex
  • 13/02/2013 09:06 PM
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I shall miss these forums too.

I wonder if the difficulty people had in adding images frightened many away?

There are far easier, user friendly sites on www.

I do not/will not be using Face book.

As for other forums ... may I recommend .....

1.  "The University of British Columbia Garden Forums" for those that want a serious site with very knowledgeable pros especialy on the Plant id section.( on there I feel like a complete novice, compared to the real experts!)

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/

2. For a UK site...light hearted, friendy and fun then "Gardeners Corner" is good.

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/

3. Then  Flickr has a hard core of reliable people world wide willing to help.

3A. Unidentified flowers and plants.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/unidentifiedflowers/

3B.What flower is this?

http://www.flickr.com/groups/what_flower_is_this/

3C.What plant is that?

http://www.flickr.com/groups/whatplantisthat/

4. For more exotic plants there is a very active, knowledgeable, helpful group... "Growing on the Edge."

http://growingontheedge.net/viewforum.php?f=2

I hope  people here will find one that is helpful and suits there needs.

Sorry for delay in adding other links .. Internet went down. S.S.

• 13/02/2013 09:14 PM
    • Valerian
    • South Essex
    • 20 Jun 2010
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I am very sorry to see this thread go. Is there really no way that we could continue to chat on the new and improved RHS site. I've just been to the RHS Facebook site and found it to be very confusing. I don't want to lose touch with the friends that I've made but fear that I will. Please RHS don't abandon us.

• 13/02/2013 09:51 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Oh dear! What a real shame. The BBC announced this week that 'The Archers' message board is to close too. I shall miss both these forums very much. Face book & Twitter are most definitely not a substitute I would be interested in. This was the one place to 'talk' about all things gardening with other like-minded souls. There has always been something interesting going on even if I wasn't contributing directly. It seems very short-sighted of the RHS. What is the point of a national horticultural society if it does not support gardeners is such a useful way?

• 13/02/2013 10:57 PM
    • Obelix
    • Belgium
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I suspect RHS resources can be put to better use and for a wider audience than running an under used forum facility, sad though it will be when they close.   I'm looking forward to giving the new site atry.

When the BBC closed its gardening boards, many people migrated to the GW boards.   There are experienced gardeners as well as beginners swapping news and advice on a wide variety of topics.   You could give them a try if, like me, Facebook is not for you.  http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/ 

Most posters are in Britain but there are a few from France, Belgium and Holland too and the hosts are keen and friendly.

Obelix - Belgium
  • 14/02/2013 10:24 AM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thank you Silver Surfer & Obelix. Just had a quick look at the gardener's world & gardener's corner forums. On the latter I got a weather forecast for Branklyn gardens - just down the road from here! So yes, very promising. Best K

• 14/02/2013 10:37 AM
    • admin
    • 20 Nov 2003
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hello.

In answer to your question, if a user has a login for the RHS members area, they will be able to use that same login on the new website (without re-registering).

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}

However, their user account for MyGarden will be deleted and they will not be able to use that login on the new website.

We will let you know anything else you need to do prior to the launch of the new website.

Many thanks

• 14/02/2013 11:10 AM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks admin Smile

sue1002
  • 14/02/2013 11:26 AM
    • Catherine
    • London
    • 30 Jan 2013
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Oh no that's a shame :(

I only recently discovered these forums - not the easiest site to use so a redesign is probably overdue, but I really like that there are so many forums on lots of different topics, so will be sorry to see them go.

• 14/02/2013 11:51 AM
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Dear admin,

Your post might be better placed right at the top.

I fear may people will not even find it tucked right at the bottom of the forums.

Regards.

S.S.

• 14/02/2013 12:35 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Having been here for a long time, I'm also sorry to see the forum going. I've made some good friends here, but there are other forums out there and plenty for all tastes, so I hope we can meet up elsewhere on the web. 

There is a gardening thread running on a forum called Not the Talk (http://notthetalk.com/discussion/top/18), where people discuss gardening and ask and answer questions. It is a text-only forum with no pictures, avatars or emoticons, which means people write in sentences - and very articulate they are, too. The rest of the forum takes in every aspect of life you can think of and whilst parts of it are not for the faint-hearted (they can get a bit sweary, but it's mainly light-hearted), the Environment section is very good.