Skip navigation.

Whitefly on Sprouts

Last post 24-11-2011 8:20 PM by Snark. 6 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

• 10/10/2011 07:02 PM
    • catymck
    • surrey
    • 12 Mar 2009
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Having just tidied up my sprouts (after quite a bit of neglect) I have given them a good drink as they were rather dry but the whitefly that live happily on my raspberries and don't do any harm have now spread onto the sprouts and there do seem to be rather a lot of them.  Don't know if it's them leaving a sort of white deposit on the underside of the leaves, or whether that's just mildew.  My question is - should I do anything about them - if so, what - or should I just leave them to get on with it?  I don't care what the sprout plants look like, as long as the sprouts are edible!

Thanks

• 10/10/2011 09:02 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hello

This link might be of use. http://tinyurl.com/6lc65jz

Nigel

• 11/10/2011 07:43 AM
    • Pesty
    • At a desk
    • 24 Nov 2005
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

That's an interesting way of linking...

The cabbage whitefly on the sprouts will not have come from the raspberries  as cabbage whitefly only affects brassicas and brassicas don't get glasshouse whitefly. Cabbage whitefly often only affects outer leaves so can be left.

'Trying is the first step to failure' H.J.Simpson
  • 11/10/2011 02:06 PM
    • catymck
    • surrey
    • 12 Mar 2009
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks for these - most helpful.

It never occured to me that there might be different types of whitefly, but if it's glasshouse whitefly on my raspberries, what are they doing outside!  And I suppose that trhe raspberries are so tough, they take no notice of the whitefly.

• 11/10/2011 03:14 PM
    • Pesty
    • At a desk
    • 24 Nov 2005
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Glasshouse whitefly can survivie out of doors during the summer on a variety of plants.

Glasshouse whitefly fly up in a cloud when the plant is disturbed if this doesn't happen then it is not glasshouse whitefly on the raspberries.

'Trying is the first step to failure' H.J.Simpson
  • 24/11/2011 02:18 PM
    • Apollosama
    • Philippines
    • 15 Nov 2011
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

i dont think they will do any damage to your sprouts.But way or another they will find the sprout habitat and too much density is not good for your plant. So occasionally try to reduce their number.

• 24/11/2011 08:20 PM
    • Snark
    • Suffolk
    • 12 Jan 2011
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

My whitefly are much worse now I have reasonably good netting against pigeons. I'm not sure whether it is the reduced access to other birds which might eat the whitefly or just reduced airflow.Last year I was moaning about them and someone suggested washing up liquid. I went out with WUL and murder in mind and they had all vanished overnight. This year I am hanging on in case they do the same but they make a mess and are horrible to wash off before cooking brassicas so I might crack and try WUL soon.

For the Snark was a boojum you see