Skip navigation.

sheep fleece/wool as basket liner?

Last post 28-01-2011 1:41 PM by Andrea. 3 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

• 25/01/2011 08:49 PM
    • Andrea
    • Isle of Mull
    • 24 Jan 2011
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hello, I was wondering whether anyone has tried using sheep's wool (untreated, directly off the sheep) as a no or very low cost basket liner. Do you think there might be pest and disease issues? And would it last a whole season and still look ok at the end? I saw that one can buy woolmoss (e.g. from LBS) for that purpose, but it's quite expensive, especially because I could only find 10kg packages of it (I need about 2kg). Or does anyone have any other ideas for a cheap basket liner? Thanks a lot, Andrea

• 26/01/2011 06:42 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Andrea

I would give it a go, I don't  think plants and sheep share many diseases. I have used moss from the lawn previously also sphagnum moss from around the insectivorous plant, when it threatens to overwhelm them.

Nigel

• 26/01/2011 06:26 PM
    • Snark
    • Suffolk
    • 12 Jan 2011
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have lots of fleece and have had a couple of goes at this but have had trouble stopping it sagging wispily out between the wires. I think it would work better if it was felted first but I havent yet tried this properly. I'm sure it would last a whole season as I use it in the bottom of plant pots to stop compost dropping out through the holes and it does a good year there. Snark.

For the Snark was a boojum you see
  • 28/01/2011 01:41 PM
    • Andrea
    • Isle of Mull
    • 24 Jan 2011
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Dear Nigel and Snark,

thank you for your replies. I think I'll give it a go. Maybe I'll tie in some more string between the wires to stop the wool from sagging too much.

Andrea