Skip navigation.

Pieris - Brown leaves

Last post 01-07-2010 12:10 AM by Bob C. 4 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

• 29/06/2010 11:05 PM
    • Bob C
    • Gloucester
    • 29 Jun 2010
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Pieris leaves.jpg I bought a Pieris about 2 months ago and re-potted it with ericausous compost. After a about a moth I noticed it was water logged. I re-potted it again and everything seemed fine but now the ends of the leaves have started to go brown. I've attached a small image showing the effects. My question is, Is this the result of the water logging or is it caused by something else? Any help would be appreciated.

• 30/06/2010 12:29 PM
    • RogerB
    • Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
    • 14 Jan 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Unfortunately I cannot see your photo (computer firewalls at work, no doubt) but based on my own experience with my two Pieris:

Several of the young leaves on my Pieris japonica 'Flaming Silver' have also gone brown and died. I have put this down to two things, the plant is in a windy spot and they get the early morning sun (until about midday) so either a) scorched by the wind or b) scorched by the sun. The young leaves turn from their initial red, to a pale yellow which makes them more susceptible to scorching, before finally going green (with a silver edge). Once the reach this last, mature stage I find they no longer suffer. My P j 'Forest Flame' has not suffered in the same way as the leaves on that cultivar do not go through the 'yellow' stage.

Hope this helps, will try to look at the picture once at home to compare with what I've seen on my plants, and welcome to the forums.

Give it a go - it might just work!
  • 30/06/2010 10:14 PM
    • RogerB
    • Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
    • 14 Jan 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Sorry Bob, still can't open the pictures even though I am now home. Afraid I can't give you any more ideas beyond what I said earlier.

Give it a go - it might just work!
  • 30/06/2010 11:51 PM
    • Bob C
    • Gloucester
    • 29 Jun 2010
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Pieris leaves.jpg Thanks Roger. I'll try moving it as it's in direct sunlight 2/3rds of the day. p.s.I've tried uploading the image again.

• 01/07/2010 12:10 AM
    • Bob C
    • Gloucester
    • 29 Jun 2010
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I've put a copy of the image on the file location. http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx7/Bigbadbob658/PierisLeafslarge.jpg