Skip navigation.

Frost protection

Last post 13-05-2010 7:46 AM by sweet_t. 4 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

• 12/05/2010 07:34 AM
    • sweet_t
    • UK
    • 21 Apr 2010
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

On colder nights I've been covering my plants (all in containers) with thick plastic bin bags, however, I checked the forecast today and it is projecting the coldest temperatures yet of -5oC. What is the best way of protecting my plants? I don't have any garden fleece and have nowhere I can move them under cover (apart from the garage, but I'm concerned that moving potatoes and the like in there will attract mice?). Will bin bags be sufficient?

I have potatoes that are now bushy with foliage (I can't completely cover them with compost now as they are past the top level of the planter bags), as well as some calabrese, beetroot and radish seedlings that are all in containers on my patio.

Also - would I need to do anything to the plants I have residing in my unheated plastic zippy-up greenhouse? Or will they be protected enough in there?

Thanks in advance!

• 12/05/2010 08:22 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Calabrese , radish, beet etc are frost hardy and will survive.  Bin liners should be sufficient to exclude spring frosts, and newspaper will be even better.  Plastic greenhouses get cold so covering these with an old curtain or suchlike  like will help.

Boggy

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil
  • 12/05/2010 08:54 AM
    • sweet_t
    • UK
    • 21 Apr 2010
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks Boggy. A great way to recycle last weekend's papers I think!

Would bubble wrap work too? I have some of that lying around.. 

• 12/05/2010 03:48 PM
    • Susiq
    • Northumberland
    • 16 Feb 2008
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Bubble wrap will be perfect!

• 13/05/2010 07:46 AM
    • sweet_t
    • UK
    • 21 Apr 2010
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

No signs as yet that my plants were frost-bitten overnight so the cobbled-together blanketing seems to have helped!!