Skip navigation.

Lit-up Wisley, marketing before eco-awareness?

Last post 11-12-2009 9:07 PM by geoff51. 12 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

• 22/11/2009 10:00 AM
    • Brosville
    • Vines Cross
    • 22 Nov 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

My flabber was well and truly ghasted when hearing an "RHS Wisley spokesman"on BBC Southern Counties Radio this morning announcing in glowing terms their "lit up gardens" for the festive season. Has RHS Wisley not heard of, or give credence to global warming?

We are entering the season when certain of the populace find it necessary to festoon their dwellings with kilowatts of garish lighting, to the extreme detriment of the environment (both from the energy consumed and the light pollution) - I would have thought the RHS should know better - what a shame I don't live in Tunbridge Wells, as I am genuinely "disgusted"

• 23/11/2009 09:29 AM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardens/Wisley/What-s-on/Lumiere I like the lit up look and it's only for a few weeks so doubt very much it would contribute much in the way of global warming.

sue1002
  • 23/11/2009 09:55 AM
    • Brosville
    • Vines Cross
    • 22 Nov 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

It's very hard not to be seen as a killjoy - but it's a point of principle and example  - if Wisley were the only place to do it, you may be right, but the RHS should be setting an example as they should be seen as being in the forefront in the fight to preserve life on this splendid planet, not squandering power on what is essentially a marketing exercise - I'm sure something better could have been done!

• 23/11/2009 04:28 PM
    • Arrem
    • Staffordshire. UK
    • 12 Jul 2009
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

"It's very hard not to be seen as a killjoy"  Bah! - Humbug!

(This is my own personal view so please dont judge others on this site by my response. )

Then don't be. Every where we turn these days there is someone telling us we are not behaving responsibly over one ideal or another.

I am big enough and old enough to make my own mind up about political points scoring and dont need some bunny loving tree hugger to point out that yet another volt is being wasted on providing some of us with some sorely needed small pleasures.  There are far bigger and more valid targets than the RHS, I suggest you go and bother them.  I turn out my own lights, recycle or re-use where I can and use Public Transport where possible.  I'll do more if/when I get the opportunity.  

There is no such thing as useless - you can always be a bad example.
  • 23/11/2009 04:58 PM
    • Brosville
    • Vines Cross
    • 22 Nov 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I have a feeling the point I was trying to make may have gone over some heads, so I'll reiterate it slowly and in simple words - the amount of electricity used at Wisley may indeed not be colossal in itself, but the great public out there will very likely take it as an example - "if the RHS does it, so can I", and every bit of raddled lawn, couple of daisies and bit of privet will be blinking in umpteen kilowatts of lights in emulation - just like the bright people who festoon their homes with illuminated nodding santas over the Christmas period. Do the garden illuminations at Wisley add one jot or tittle to gardening? - I think not, as I said, a cynical marketing ploy better suited to a downmarket supermarket.......

Me, a bunny-hugger? - nahhh - just off to chuck another polar bear cub on the fire!

• 23/11/2009 05:36 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I'm sure everyone understands you perfectly well, Brosville, and most would agree, but I also think that Arrem is right to say that he's fed up of being told what to do/what to think/what is correct or incorrect to enjoy. The public have been carped at endlessly these last several years, for just about everything they do, and there is a real fatigue developing. It often seems these days that the only way to get approval is through self-denial and public repentance for past eco-sins.

That isn't to say that I don't think the RHS should set an example, just that you probably won't get much joy by telling off its members.

• 26/11/2009 09:15 AM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I like Christmas and we go to see lights on all the neighbours houses, I don't light my house up because I can't be arsed, but I like looking at the others. Wisley is filled up with lots and lots of scientists and I'm sure they know what they're doing with lights and things and I think they won't jib out on paying the electric bill so it should be okay, I had a brief look in the magazine and saw a lovely christmas light i think it's at Wisley, maybe we'll get some pictures of Wisley lit up it will look splendid, I've never been a fan of the environment it treats me badly being cold and wet and windy most days. But I don't think lots of people will follow Wisleys example and switch on more lights, I just look at them and enjoy seeing them

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 10/12/2009 08:39 PM
    • Fido
    • 10 Dec 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I went to see Lit-up Wisley last night. I regret that it was a great disappointment. I'm not sure what I expected, but to me, no real impact was achieved. And what on earth was the nonsense in the pond in front of the house? I'm glad I didn't have to pay.

• 10/12/2009 09:04 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

To set a good example, it wouldn't be enough for Wisly not to have lights - that wouldn't do anything to discourage other people from having them.

If the RHS (or anyone else) wants to discourage the waste of electric in this way, then they need to come up with a better alternative.

Got any decorative, but eco-friendly suggestions?

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 10/12/2009 10:32 PM
    • RogerB
    • Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
    • 14 Jan 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I don't suppose it would be possible to breed flourescent / phosporescent plants to glow in the dark instead?

A self-illuminating christmas tree would certainly be a money-spinner for the person who manages it!Big Smile

Give it a go - it might just work!
  • 11/12/2009 12:40 AM
    • Foxnfirefly
    • Virginia,USA
    • 01 Jul 2008
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I agree with Arrem--sick and tired of the political correctness police. I think by now we are wondering where it will all stop?  People are finding any reason to complain.  Yes, we ARE aware of the global warming because people are talking about it, it's in the news, and there was a world summit meeting about it.  We have worked on ways to save energy and find alternatives for it.  Many Christmas lights have changed and are low wattage.  We have solar power and wind electricity in development.  I don't see a  reason to forego the usual because the use of decorative lights for a limited time has low to no impact.  There are far more serious problems like nuclear waste, auto emissions and factory pollution to rant about.

• 11/12/2009 05:19 PM
    • Obelix
    • Belgium
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Garden lighting is an integral part of garden design and Xmas period lighting is a long standing tradition.   It can all be achieved with low voltage lights and sublety and restraint if given due consideration.

I would have been far more upset if they'd gone in for those dreadful flashing lights and beams or exploded fireworks or let off balloons, all of which are detrimental to human peace and wildlife.

I also don't want people telling me what I should and shouldn't do though I'm happy to be informed about choices to be made and best practice to be adopted.

As I understand it, the Xmas tree walk is comprised of trees decorated by children from local schools using recycled materials, which is to be applauded, and I really can't see the RHS splurging vast sums on lights for the entire garden or the power to run them.  

I think you need to find something more pertinent and offensive to rant about - corruption in governments, oil company cartels, logging in the Amazon, lack of education provision around the world - which alone would do so much to reduce population expansion, war and pollution.

Obelix - Belgium
  • 11/12/2009 09:07 PM
    • geoff51
    • Totton, Hampshire
    • 13 Feb 2009
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Well Said Obelix,

I am also fed up with people telling me to be ecologically sound when they arrive at climate talks in Copenhagen in large limos and private planes etc, talk about hypocritesAngry

Geoff51 Pond life!?!