Skip navigation.

Gardening Gene

Last post 19-09-2010 4:22 PM by Anthony. 7 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

• 09/07/2009 09:42 PM
    • BB
    • Hereford
    • 12 May 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I know this may sound strange - but does anyone agree with me and think that the love of gardening can be passed on through the genes. All of my family seem to just love it - and both my brother and sister , like me, garden for pleasure and practically to feed themselves and their family and we have all come to it at different points in our lives and yet, though we now live miles apart, are remarkably similar in our methods and practice. Yes - our parents gardened but we none of us as children really took much notice apart from eating the produce and anyway virtually everyone gardened in those days. My OH's family on the other hand have no interest in it at all. He is one of 7 and all 7 are totally apathetic towards the subject. I may be being very simplistic but could it be in the genes?

BB
  • 10/07/2009 09:38 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

To test this scientifically I think you would have to find identical twins separated early in life and brought up with gardening and non-gardening families and measure their propensity to garden.  Good luck.

Boggy

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil
  • 10/07/2009 12:41 PM
    • chriss
    • iwuk
    • 06 May 2009
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Interesting theory. I helped my dad in the garden in my younger years. Now I am teaching my granddaughter, who is only seven, to grow seeds and take cuttings. She loves the plants and now has a patch in her own garden that she waters every day. Not sure if it's genetic or not though. You'd have to ask a scientist to prove or disprove your theory.

• 10/07/2009 01:48 PM
    • RogerB
    • Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
    • 14 Jan 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Both my parents and g/parents were keen gardeners so maybe it's genetic, or maybe it's social engineering - i.e. because I grew up amongst other people who gardened, I have carried on 'the tradition'.

This doesn't preclude people who haven't grown up amongst gardeners taking it up, like many people take up a sport they have never tried before. Nor does it stop people saying ' that looks like hard work., I'm not going to do that!'

Whichever it is, I enjoy it and fully intend to carry on gardening for as long as I possibly can.

Give it a go - it might just work!
  • 03/09/2010 09:44 PM
    • Joe
    • Up North
    • 02 Sep 2010
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hello BB and all,

I am new to the site, and I have a steadily growing interest in gardening. I could perhaps make a qualified guess in this, sort of.  

Several reasons could be the case for the appearance of the same interest within a family. The most obvious one would be how the parents modelled their kids (what RogerB calls "social engineering"), by showing passion for the interest while the kids were small. This modelling could stay dormant within the child until conditions were right in the child's life. In time, they could find themselves engaged in what could be the most natural thing to engage in - what gave meaning and a harmonious life to their parents. In some families we find musical interests, in others arts or teaching - or anything really, and yet others gardening.

But this does not deny a genetic explanation. There is such a huge variation in human genes, and they (the genes) are passed down in families. So it could be a perfectly good explanation, that the parts of the brain which are processing the impressions, experiences and pleasures of gardening are somewhat more developed within families with certain gene combinations present.

A third explanation could be randomness.

And a fourth one could be spirit communicating with the subconscious levels of the family members (- which could perhaps be a challenge to explain for the more scientifically oriented person).

So as I see it, BB, the best explanation you can give this phenomenon, is entirely up to you, depending on how you know your family and comprehend the world at large.

Smile 

Joe

• 04/09/2010 10:19 AM
    • dave
    • iver buckinghamshire
    • 16 May 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

i think this is the case as my dad did the growing of veg and i watched and helped him also he gave me a small veg plot so i could do some growing of veg

now my son is doing the same in growing veg and also with his sons

so yes i do think it is in the blood

dave

do not look down on people only when you are helping them up
  • 04/09/2010 01:28 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi

Genetic probably not.

Spiritual/religous Darwin knocked that one on the head.

Socioeconomic possibly.

Nurture probably

Nigel

• 19/09/2010 04:22 PM
    • Anthony
    • Preesall
    • 24 Mar 2010
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I am really the only one in my family that really does like gardening. I have managed to introduce some of them to liking it but the rest make it seem like a chore. I wish it was past down through genes!!Smile

Visit my blog anthonysgarden.wordpress.com