Skip navigation.

Dying Palm Tree

Last post 05-05-2009 10:31 AM by JayneyG. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 03/05/2009 09:47 PM
    • JayneyG
    • London
    • 03 May 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi all, am a newbie with a question!

I planted a nice palm tree a year ago and now it appears to be dying.  Planted in the ground, watered plenty but I'm wondering if the cold has killed it and should I have covered it with something?  New shoots are now going brown too.  Is it too late?  Should I dig it up?  Advice much appreciated ;-)

• 04/05/2009 10:06 PM
    • Botanic Tone
    • Woking Surrey
    • 28 Mar 2009
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hello Jayney,

You haven't told us what type of palm. Often, with palms, if the growing point / tip is frosted / frozen little re-growth occurs. We had temperatures at minus 10 C in Surrey this January, enough to kill a palm!

Is the palm in a pot or in the ground? Have you looked at the roots, do they look healthy, no sign of rotting / dead roots? Go easy on the watering, until there is good re-growth little water will be taken up.

Hope it's not too late! Tony.

When all at once I saw a crowd....
  • 05/05/2009 10:31 AM
    • JayneyG
    • London
    • 03 May 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

hi, thanks for replying.  I've lost the label so am not really sure of the type, but will try to find out.  It is planted into the ground, so maybe the frost got to it.  We didn't cover it over the winter.  Any hope do you think?  It's getting quite brown, even new shoots.  Some green left in places.  My husband says to leave it until summer to see if it'll come back?