Skip navigation.

my gardenia buds are not opening

Last post 14-02-2005 4:05 PM by Suzanne007. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 11/02/2005 04:58 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

My gardenias are full of buds, they grow their normal size and they do not open, is there a reason for it, I have them in a nice spot in the patio with morning sun and afternoon shade. Please help

Sue
  • 11/02/2005 08:59 PM
    • Obelix
    • Belgium
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I'm no expert but if gardenias are like camellias they resent being exposed to early morning sun when they've been frozen at night. The resultant quick thaw kills off their flower buds. They also need plenty of water through late summer and autumn otherwise, to protect the plant, they reduce food and water supplies to their buds and you lose a whole season of flowers. I would consider moving it to a spot with early morning shade and afternoon sun so buds can thaw naturally and make sure you water and feed it regularly and at the appropriate time of year.

Obelix - Belgium
  • 14/02/2005 04:05 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi and thanks for your answer, here in Mexico we don't have very cold weather at night therefore there is not a strong change when the sun comes in the morning. They don't get the sun right away, they have sun around mid morning and the days are not cold. My gardenia is full of buds and I just added some azalea fertilizer to see if that helps. Please tell me what you think.

Sue