Skip navigation.

Larvae on Blackberries

Last post 28-07-2008 10:04 PM by sue1002. 3 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

• 28/07/2008 01:48 PM
    • alfalfa
    • Maidenhead
    • 28 Jul 2008
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I have blackberries with small white-ish-brown larvae, about 3mm, on/in them.  Does anyone know what they are?  If so, any way to tell what berries are infected without taking the berry apart?  Anything I can do about it to treat/prevent?  Should I cut the canes now?  Cheers!

• 28/07/2008 02:40 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

They probably would get inside.  Some of my blueberries have tiny caterpillars coming out of them, I just discard any that have holes in them, a gentle squeeze of the damaged ones makes them shoot out of the tiny hole that has been made.

sue1002
  • 28/07/2008 08:51 PM
    • Beebee
    • Warwickshire
    • 29 Jan 2008
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Sue

I bought a blueberry Top Hat from a reputable supplier who informed me that I would only need the one plant of this variety to fruit.  It arrived with a few small berries but most dropped off, so I have pruned it right back.  Hopefully I will get fruit next year?  I have repotted using ericaceous compost.

• 28/07/2008 10:04 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Beebee

I'm not familiar with the Top Hat variety, I've just had a look at a picture of one and it certainly looks impressive for the small size it will grow to, it looks like it will give as much fruit as the taller varieties.

I've found a page for blueberry care which gives full instructions.  We have two plants and the first year we had very few berries, they are now in their third fruiting year and this year we have had loads off of them, the only pruning I have done so far is to cut out any dead bits and cut back any stems that have broken when they've got caught in the sliding doors on the greenhouse.  It seems that they fruit on wood that is between one and three years old so I will have to thin out some growth when the time is right (February/March time).

sue1002