Skip navigation.

Sycamore has won the battle we are selling up!

Last post 21-04-2008 5:12 PM by Rae. 47 replies.

Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

• 22/10/2007 11:16 AM
    • Rae
    • Dorset
    • 31 Jul 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi all - nice to see you all chatting again - I have been working so not had time to go online. We moved from London down to Dorset and as everyone did we had a bad summer so garden was not easy to establish - took on a house with nothing there but I have laid a lawn and put in some fab plants trying to recreate my haven that i had in my small London garden - BUT - we back on to the park and there is a Sycamore, a huge conifer and a Home Oak (not the usual) at the bottom of the garden just next to our fence so planted in the park. The conifer has dead branches on it and if they were cut down (at the bottom) would create a small window of light, the Oak has been canopied and is quite amazing so can live with that - but the SYCAMORE -aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh. It rains leaves and now sap and insects of all kinds emerge from it. The sap is everywhere and makes all the garden furniture sticky. Birds roost in it and we have piles of you know what everywhere. So bad now that my grandson is not allowed to play in the garden as its just a smelly, sticky nightmare! We have about 6 branches that literally span our garden - you cant see them from the park at all ie if they were cut down no one would notice. But the council will not allow us to cut a single branch down. I have even argued that there is a health hazard in such a smallish garden you cannot get away from the sap etc. So I am selling up - my garden is tantamount to me being a happy human being. Just wanted to share I feel so upset with the council - who just turn round and say no - they just dont seem to realise that this is causing us so much upset and they just dont care! And if we went ahead and just did it we would be fined!

• 22/10/2007 03:30 PM
    • Composter
    • 22 Oct 2007
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi. As a retired police officer qualified up to Inspector I am duty bound to tell you that you must always obey the law. However I have a few questions if I might make so bold. 1/. [b]If[/b] you did [u]Prune[/u] the Sycamore carefully and discreetly how would the council know? 2/. [b]If[/b] the council were to find out, would they really actually prosecute? 3/. [b]IF[/b] they did prosecute you and you were fined, what is the maximum fine for this awful offence? Would the fine be more than the cost and trouble of selling up and moving your home, bearing in mind that your problem i.e. the Sycamore would have been relieved. [b][color=#ff0000]F[/color]alse [color=#ff0000]E[/color]vidence [color=#ff0000]A[/color]ppearing [color=#ff0000]R[/color]eal [/b]

• 22/10/2007 07:32 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Are you permitted to prune the conifer? (Gosh, wouldn't it be awful if the people you got to do it got confused and accidentally pruned the sycamore too?) I've heard cases of house builders deliberately destroying trees with preservation orders, because the couple of grand fine is cheaper for them than the cost of the extra time of working round the trees. I can understand the need to preserve trees, but it seems silly not to be able to remove dead branches and to prune trees that are causing a nuisance.

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 23/10/2007 03:17 PM
    • Rae
    • Dorset
    • 31 Jul 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Well Composter - now you come to mention it - i wonder if the council would notice and if you so rightly say even if they did - maybe they would not bother. This area has more trees than they know what to do with - so a few branches hanging over our garden - which in normal circumstances one would just go and get a tree surgeon in to cut down....... maybe i will get them cut down - the problem will lie as to whether a tree surgeon would do the work knowing it was slightly .... dodgey? Phot's-Moll - i dont know about the conifer because that is on park land and not really hanging over our boundary. Basically if you could imagine a fence with garden one side and park the other. Looking from the house you have a huge home oak on the right then a few meters away a conifer which is battling for light so all the branches are intermingled and then right next to the conifer is the sycamore with five upward trunks coming from one very stout trunk at the bottom and thats it - that is the boundary of our garden. Trees glorious trees! I have not had an application in to the council - which is a very good thing - I have had a tree surgeon x 2 round who both independently said forget it - they will not give permission. So maybe if we wait till darkness.....

• 23/10/2007 04:02 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hello Rae, I can sympathise, having lived in a hosue surrounded by sycamore trees. You might find some useful advice on the Garden Law website forum ([url]http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php[/url]) - someone is bound to be able to make a useful suggestion on whether it's worth just lopping some branches or not.

• 23/10/2007 08:16 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Maybe you should ask permission? (I assumed you had) They're very unlikely to agree to a tree being cut down, but pruning is different. If you could suggest it was dangerous in some way, you might get a good result - councils are very scared of being sued.

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 24/10/2007 10:56 AM
    • Rae
    • Dorset
    • 31 Jul 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Goodness me Miranda just spent half an hour on that website never seen so many discussions and so many of them are about SYCAMORES aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! Never come across a sycamore before except in woodlands etc but they appear to be the scurge of the earth and yet our council seems to plants them everywhere. In fact they are along the railway lines which boarder our car park at work and all along that side people dont want to park as all the sticky stuff goes all over the cars - everyone getting in early to find another parking space. OK I think what I am going to do is that I am going to get the branches cut down and then when thats done I will apply to the council to get the lower branches of the conifer tree cut down (cannot do that as it would be noticed and its about 4 metres from our boundary into the park where as the sycamore aaaaaaaaaaaaagh its trunk is touching our back fence. Wish me luck.

• 24/10/2007 02:32 PM
    • Serenity
    • 24 Oct 2007
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I would wait until the next Gypsy type character calls around wanting to prune your trees and let them have the job of cutting the Sycamore branches off. They won't say no to the job. If it does lead to a fine (which I very much doubt because Councils need their money for better purposes) pay the fine - the branches can't be put back, and in 6 months time your garden will be greatly improved and you will have forgotten what it cost you. The Council of course will never know unless you have a troublesome neighbour waiting to stir things up! I will probably be banned from the R.H.S. following this reply.................

• 24/10/2007 03:39 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

There's an idea, Serenity! There are a lot of people like that about. Something that occurred to me is what my old RHS teacher used to say, which is 'Growth follows the knife'. I'm not that up on how fast Sycamores grow but it's possible that, once the limbs are removed, the tree might try to make the growth up again as fast as it can, to rebalance itself. Not all trees do this, but some do.

• 24/10/2007 04:54 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Note to self: before signing on dotted line when buying house look to see if any big trees shade or over-hang garden. Take out pocket compass and see if any trees are to the south of garden. Boggy

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil
  • 29/10/2007 11:39 AM
    • Rae
    • Dorset
    • 31 Jul 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Good note Bogweevil. I would suggest to anyone buying a new house they check for sycamore aaaaaaaaaaaaagh trees !!

• 08/01/2008 12:06 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Rae dont give up. Read your problems and as no non caravan dwelling Arborist felt you might need some clarification. I assume that the said tree has a TPO. The only order enforcable in our world to protect trees. Yes it comes with a fine if you even prune it. Oh and the council through your tree officer will find out. Price per limb in the region of £1000 compleate take down fine £25000 and in the absense of a tree surgeon to fine, you will foot the bill. On the lighter side as a council approved contractor those that shout the loudest and longest often get the job done. As a tree surgeon sycamore are the bain of my life Acer pseudoplatanus particually and should all be removed as pests. The only other hope for you is the Dead Dying Decayed Dangerous Desiesed tree act this gives way to remidial tree work. For instance if the tree is taller than your house and likley to cause significant damage should it fail then you can have work undertaken to reduce it. Keep trying if all else fails email me and im sure i can help you out!!

• 09/01/2008 11:50 AM
    • Rae
    • Dorset
    • 31 Jul 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Roger Thanks for your interest in our problem. Now all the leaves have fallen off said tree all over the garden - we swept and hoovered every leaf and hopefully every seed pod and now trying to see how to get the sap off our deck!! Thge lawn under the tree has completely gone to mud as well. As a keen gardener I find it very disheartening. There are 3 branches which hang right over our garden which I am contemplating getting cut down (have a tree surgeon who may do it but it would have to be without council permission. Everyone I have spoken to about this council have advised me that they will just say no no no no no ... ad infinitum! Our house is 3 storeys and when we look out of the top windows both the sycamore and the home oak are way above the roof top. (Did I mention that the sycamore is one trunk with 4 upward trunks coming out of it - making it like 4 trees!) So I am interested in your DDDD thingme - I will ask. I do not understand why our council is so obsessed with sycamore trees - there are so many in this area and they have just planted 4 more next door which at the moment are small but our neighbours are just so p'd off about it! Why sycamores? Thanks for your help Roger - I may get back to you.

• 19/01/2008 05:32 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Rae By the sounds of it the tree could have been pollarded at about 12 ft and never since been re pollarded. The case you should state is that un pollarded trees often have weak branch unions leading to the possibility of faliure. Your local council with any luck will have record of whether the tree has been pollarded before!! Keep up the fight

• 19/01/2008 07:25 PM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi there, I'm not sure if this will help or not but as a tree warden for my local area I am 100% sure (in this area anyway) that a TPO only exsists on any tree which lives in a conservation area - deemed by the local council. Even if the sycamore is in a conservation area this does not mean work cannot be done on it. All that has to be done is that the Council are notified (they should have online forms). You are also within you're right to get the tree taken down if it is causing stress however it must be replaced with another tree (any species) as soon as possible. I think that covers it all. I'd be happy to make any enquiries on you're behalf if it would help? I hope you manage to sort that tree out!!! They are well known to be the 'weeds' of the tree world! Garden Greens - aka Sophie

Garden Greens