Skip navigation.

Peach tree virus

Last post 15-11-2004 12:51 PM by Exhack. 7 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

• 15/11/2004 08:25 AM
    • Exhack
    • 15 Nov 2004
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Locals say my peach tree has a virus. Also that fallen leaves will infect the soil. I'm going to have the tree out. But I'd really like to know, since it's impossible to catch all the leaves before they hit the ground (!!): 1) Whether the ground will in fact be infected by fallen leaves. 2) If I remove the tree how long will the infection remain in the soil. 3) Are such viruses peculiar to the trees/plants infected. IE can I plant another type of tree in the infected soil? Thanks for any help.

dnorth
  • 15/11/2004 11:27 AM
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I'd be surprised if your tree is affected by a virus disease, and would recommend further investigation before removing it. Virus disease can remain active in the soil for some time and some are specific to certain genera/groups of plants whereas others can affect a wider range of plants.

Geoff Hodge
    Web Editor
  • 15/11/2004 12:12 PM
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi I had a weeping peach which suffered from some sort of virus (sorry can't remember the name of it, but it is quite common and apparently peaches are prone to this) which left the leaves unpleasantly deformed. The cure was to spray with copper fungicide every winter and then again just as the leaves came into bud. Also to pick up and destroy the affected leaves. Actually when it got it, the deformed leaves would fall off and then a new lot would form which were OK. In the end I got rid of the tree because although it looked lovely in bloom (which wasn't for very long) the leaves weren't very attractive even at their best!

• 15/11/2004 12:19 PM
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Further to my last message - I just looked it up in my good old D.G. Hessayon, he was talking about ornamental peaches being particularly susceptible to peach leaf curl which is what mine had. I think that there are a lot of trees resistant to this including ornamental cherries so it is worth checking.

• 15/11/2004 12:32 PM
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Peach leaf curl is a fungal diseases not a virus. Fungal diseases are easier to control/cure than viral ones and rarely require the tree to be destroyed.

Geoff Hodge
    Web Editor
  • 15/11/2004 12:48 PM
    • Exhack
    • 15 Nov 2004
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

---------------- On 11/15/2004 12:19:08 PM Rhoda Dendron wrote: Further to my last message - I just looked it up in my good old D.G. Hessayon, he was talking about ornamental peaches being particularly susceptible to peach leaf curl which is what mine had. I think that there are a lot of trees resistant to this including ornamental cherries so it is worth checking.---------------- Many thanks. Your msgs more or less exactly describe my tree's problem. The leaves come out and then curl with an extremely sinister-looking reddish spotty rash appearing on them. As the tree bears very good peaches I'd rather keep it and so will try the copper fungicide.

dnorth
  • 15/11/2004 12:49 PM
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes, these are the symptoms of peach leaf curl and the copper fungicide will help. Rake up all leaves and burn them and spray the soil at the same time with the fungicide. If the tree is wall trained, covering it with a plastic tent from now until late spring will protect against infection as the tent will help prevent spores splashing back onto the leaves.

Geoff Hodge
    Web Editor
  • 15/11/2004 12:51 PM
    • Exhack
    • 15 Nov 2004
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Dear Geoff Hodge, Thanks for yours. As you will see the troops are rallying round and I will have a go at controlling the tree.

dnorth