Skip navigation.

Help identifying "Sea Moss"

Last post 02-11-2004 10:42 PM by Huon. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 28/10/2004 11:49 PM
    • Huon
    • 29 Oct 2004
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

The URL here is a link to an image of the plant and how it is used: http://www.floodland.nl/trein/info/model_5_3.jpg THe plant is sold as "Sea Moss" or, occaisionally "SeaFoam" and is what appears to be the seed-head of a woody-stemmed plant of unknown name/origin. The seed-head is very very finely branched but retains what appears to be elongated and fine foliage between some of the heads. It is used in modelling to amek fake trees (as the iamge shows) and is marketed as "Supertrees" or "Forest in a box" - unfortunately though nobody seems to want to say what it is and despite dozens of hours searching on the Net I cannot find our what it is. This american website http://www.scenicexpress.com/supertrees.html sells the same stuff and claims it is a relation of american sagebrush... yet nothing I have found on the internet seems to relate any artemisia plant to how the "supertrees" look in actuality. Having said that I have been uanble to find any relaibly good images of artemisia plants in flower. Any help identifying this little puzzler would be most appreciated.. even more so if there is somebody in the UK who could supply them.

• 02/11/2004 03:59 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I think this is an aquatic animal. See www.thefreedictionary.com/sea%20moss or www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/sea+moss for more details

New Gardener
  • 02/11/2004 10:42 PM
    • Huon
    • 29 Oct 2004
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Actually nope. "Sea Moss" in your links refers to a bryozoan which just happens to have the badly named "seamoss" name attached to it (it is obviously no moss). That link has come from this plant being called "seemoos" in the northern waters i think it is found in, that being "seemoos", or meerschaum (seafoam as in the pipes). Thus I think this is actually "Chenopodium aristatum - Sea Foam Flower"