Skip navigation.

Aloe Vera

Last post 29-10-2004 8:36 AM by prentonboy. 9 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

• 21/10/2004 04:05 PM
    • prentonboy
    • Wirral
    • 26 Feb 2004
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have a number of Aloe Vera's all taken from cuttings. I've brought mine into the garage for overwintering. I'm too much of a coward to leave them outside. Last year though I did experiment by bringing 2 indoors and putting 2 in the unheated garage. The 2 in the garage did just as well if not better that the ones in the house. Hence they are all in the garage this year. I agree I can't get over how well they've grown this year outside.

• 25/10/2004 11:20 AM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Charles Can you give me any idea how big the Aloe Vera is likely to get? I bought what I thought was one plant in a pot, but there turned out to be two. I repotted, and put one outside and kept one inside. The one outside has done much better than the one I kept indoors. I'll take your advice though, and bring it in for the winter. Crackintackle

• 25/10/2004 12:35 PM
    • prentonboy
    • Wirral
    • 26 Feb 2004
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Mine are about 12" by about 10". I started off by buying 1 in a very small pot but they spread by producing offsets which I have then grown on in seperate pots. I have about 6 pots of them now although my intention is to grow them on, increasing the pot size each year, as opposed to increasing the amount of pots. Just checked the size they can grow to is Height and Spread 2 feet.

• 25/10/2004 01:12 PM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks for that Charles. I am too much of a novice to be able to multiply from the offsets I'm afraid. However, I have dicovered that my virginia creeper has dropped seeds into the Aloe Vera pot and although it looks very attracive, I guess I'll need to take it out before it engulfs it. Anyhow Charles, perhaps you can help me with something else. I have a large bamboo - big bright green leaf on thick canes, as opposed to the small delicate type. It is a lovely plant about 10' high, we have been able to prevent it's natural desire to spread out by confining the base to a 4' circle. It provides the pond with good shade in the summer. I have never fed this plant with anything since I got it (about 10 years!). What would you suggest I use, and how would you go about pruning. I am afraid I just cut the canes when I need to use them elsewhere in the garden. Should I take them from the edges or the centre?

• 25/10/2004 04:51 PM
    • admin
    • 20 Nov 2003
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Aloe Vera discussion

• 25/10/2004 04:58 PM
    • admin
    • 20 Nov 2003
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Just to let you know that I have moved your posts on Aloe Vera to this new plants section. You should be able to set up a new bamboo thread here too

• 26/10/2004 10:52 PM
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

---------------- On 10/25/2004 4:58:07 PM admin wrote: Just to let you know that I have moved your posts on Aloe Vera to this new plants section. You should be able to set up a new bamboo thread here too---------------- Just when I'd posted on Aloe Vera on the previous section!! I'm fascinated to read that you grow them outside, I always thought they were too tender for that, which I was my previous reply to crackintackle said... so ignore me. Maybe I'll try my luck.....

• 27/10/2004 07:19 PM
    • prentonboy
    • Wirral
    • 26 Feb 2004
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Crackintackle Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier but I have no experience about growing bamboo. I was always put off by their ability to spread although I do believe you can get them that don't spread all that much.

• 29/10/2004 12:21 AM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I would like to know if you water Aloe vera in the winter? mine is on the window-sill.

Wendy Powell
  • 29/10/2004 08:36 AM
    • prentonboy
    • Wirral
    • 26 Feb 2004
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Very little if any I would think. Certainly I watered mine kept in the house little, but those I moved into the garage I didn't water at all until starting off again in early spring and as I said before the ones in the unheated garage overwintered better than those in the house. Just checked my records and none of mine were watered after September last year.