Skip navigation.

Verticillium wilt - advice needed

Last post 28-09-2004 8:12 PM by Arabella Sock. 3 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

• 27/09/2004 03:33 PM
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

In the hope that people are still reading these boards and that they can be used in a beneficial way for members I would be grateful for any advice (or failing that just sympathy) with my verticillium problem. I had a golden cotinus, which was about two years old when the leaves started to wilt and die back. On emailing the RHS helpline I was advised that it was most likely verticillium wilt. Disectting the stems seemed to prove this as they had brown streaks inside. I followed the advice given and disposed of the plant, dug a load of the soil out of that area and soaked a solution of jeyes fluid into it and left it over winter. Then I stopped following the advice and planted another golden cotinus in that area in the hope that I had treated the problem. It grew well for a couple of years and just as I thought I had got away with it, this one has also wilted. My question now is what can I do to ensure that any infection doesn't spread from that area to surrounding ones? (I have another purple cotinus which it would break my heart to lose). Also I am advised to put resistant plants in that area but I have no idea which are resistant and my book just says that lots of shrubs and plants are susceptible. Any ideas or experiences of this problem would be helpful. thanks

• 28/09/2004 10:13 AM
    • admin
    • 20 Nov 2003
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

There is some information on the RHS Website available at: [url=http:///advice/profiles0901/verticillium.asp]http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0901/verticillium.asp[/url]

• 28/09/2004 10:51 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

All grasses and bamboos are resistant. Also cover the infected soil with a generous bark mulch so that your boots do not carry the spores around the garden. Best clean your tools with hot detergent solution too after removing your casualty. Other resistant plants include: Alnus Betula Carpinus Cercidiphyllum Conifers Cornus Crataegus Eucalyptus Fagus Ginkgo Gleditsia Ilex Juglans Liquidamber Malus Morus Platanus Populus Prunus Pyrus Quercus Salix Sorbus (except S. torminalis) Zelkova

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil
  • 28/09/2004 08:12 PM
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It looks like I am going to have to stop the cats digging in that bit of the garden in case they spread the disease round on their paws! The non-susceptible plant lists are particularly useful. Thanks for your help - Rhoda