Skip navigation.

Feeding my Olive tree

Last post 07-02-2007 10:40 PM by bogweevil. 5 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

• 02/11/2006 02:16 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I bought an olive tree while on holiday in france, it's only teeny but wondered if it needs to be fed (and with what) and when it will fruit, obviously not in the near future! I've bought it in for the winter, is there anything else I need to do to ensure it lives!! Thanks for any help S.P

• 03/11/2006 11:25 AM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hello sweetish pea, I am not the one who can give you too much advice on this subject i bought a small olive tree from wilkos last year i think it was and when i put it in the greenhouse leaves were dropping off so i too asked for advice and was told to weather out the storm the tree may just be a little stressed it all went well until the summer months when i put the tree out in a nice pot and a sunny position, then the tree died suddenly i was upset so i shoved it in the shredder where it became part of a mulch for my rose "golden showers" it was a fitting end for a fine tree.

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 03/11/2006 06:08 PM
    • stevew
    • 16 Feb 2006
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi SP I have one outside the back door which is a standard and it did have a few fruits on this year, It remained there all last winter but it is a bit sheltered by the house and when a good frost was given out I just draped a bit of fleece over the top of it, I just gave it a feed with miracle gro now and again at the same time as feeding other plants The frosts have started early this year haven't they BRRRR Steve

• 06/01/2007 05:15 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi i was doing a search recently for information on Olive Tree care and found this blog [url=http://www.gardenopoly.co.uk/blog/?p=57]http://www.gardenopoly.co.uk/blog/?p=57[/url] You might find it usefull, and even if it doesn't answer your questions direct it might be worth leaving a post for the aurthor of it. Good luck.

• 07/02/2007 08:34 PM
    • Bog Myrtle
    • Southern Turkey
    • 07 Feb 2007
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hallo Sweetish Pea, Sorry about the late answer, I just came upon this forum, but I hope it still may help. We have olive trees growing outside, and they really are not as tender as people seem to think. Though I don't live in the UK, we can have temperatures of as low as -16 in winter, and lots of hard frost. The olives don't mind at all. What they don't like is overwatering, and what they really don't like is feeding. When we first bought our young trees, we dug a good deep hole for each, put some (home-made)compost in the bottom, and mixed it with some of the soil we had just dug out. Then we filled the hole with water, and planted the young tree. We threw a couple of shovelfuls of sharp sand round the base of each, as a water-retaining mulch. For the first year, we gave each tree maybe 20 ltrs of water a week during the summer (it was a dry summer), then the second year around 20 ltrs a fortnight. None has been fed since, and they're all thriving. Bear in mind they're trees which grow on rocky hillsides which won't support much else, and don't mollycoddle them. They shouldn't lose their leaves in winter. We picked our first crop when the trees were three years old (not many certainly, but some) and now the oldest trees are seven, and we get lots of olives. Hope this helps, and good luck!

• 07/02/2007 10:40 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Like any plant in a pot you will get much better results if you feed in the growing season (April until October) with a general purpose fertiliser such as MiracleGro every couple weeks. I would repot every other year and replace the top 5cm of potting media in the years when you don't repot. If you don't want your olive to move into a bigger pot just take off 30 percent of the compost using a sharp stick and put back into the same pot with fresh potting media. You could of course use a controlled release fertiliser such as Osmocote that releases nutrients all summer from one application in spring. Bogweevil

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil