Skip navigation.

Protecting strawberries - or what's eating them?

Last post 07-07-2006 11:18 AM by Digger. 6 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

• 06/07/2006 11:03 AM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I've got netting over my strawberries so it isn't birds, but something is eating the fruits. This morning I found an ant having a go at one of them but not sure if this is the culprit. I don't tend to have much trouble with slugs or snails (beer traps seemed to have pretty much cleared one and thrushes smash the daylights of of the other on the rockery:)), and there aren't any trails. No signs of problems with the plants, nothing on the stems, leaves or flowers. What ever it is eats them as soon as they turn red, all the green ones are left alone. Any ideas how to best protect them, preferably organically?

• 06/07/2006 11:33 AM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Is your netting tight up against your strawberries? Some birds will perch on netting and to reach them. Another possibility could be squirrels, they can chew through plastic netting quite easily, the only humane remedy for this would be to make a wire cage.

sue1002
  • 06/07/2006 05:32 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have the same problem lots of my strawberries are being swiped by the birds the best solution is to pick all the good ones and leave a few small ones on the plant for the birds to eat.

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 06/07/2006 07:30 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I'm not that convinced that it's birds to be honest. Rather thought that it would be something on the ground. Where they are eated the 'bite', for want of a better word, is smooth, like something's being munching rather than pecking

• 06/07/2006 09:58 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Well it could be a mouse or a vole, we have mice in our garden i saw them one afternoon collecting seeds

• 07/07/2006 08:39 AM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Now that is a distinct possibility. The people behind us have started to keep chickens again (after already getting rid of them once). Last time both us and next door were overrun with mice. Time to get the traps out again maybe, and inform the council perhaps. I've not seen any sign of mice yet though. Oh well, I'll just have to keep an eye out.

• 07/07/2006 11:18 AM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Dave, If the neighbours are keeping poultry it is a distinct possibility that rats and mice will prevail, now most of these rodents do not live in the same area as the food source and they like to travel between their nest and the food. They are creatures of habit and will use the same route every day try to look around your garden for likely places for them to live, a dry compost bin/under a shed in the greenhouse. mice are a pest but rats are a serious health hazard when you look for any signs of activity please remember to wear gloves and never pick them up, i know this sounds obvious but better safe than sorry. good luck my friend.