Skip navigation.

Idle chat - OLD

Last post 06-08-2010 3:28 PM by admin. 7645 replies.

Page 767 of 946 (14186 items) « First ... < Previous 765 766 767 768 769 Next > ... Last »

• 19/04/2010 11:19 AM
    • Susiq
    • Northumberland
    • 16 Feb 2008
    Top 10 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

BB lovely to see you back, glad you are ok and sounds as tho' exceptionally busy! The seeds you kindly sent me have all come throughYes

I can imagine the pong Richard was not at all pleasantIck! Look forward to seeing your pics. Glad your rescued the frog.

Have you taken any pics to post yet RogerB with your new camera?

I did my usual Eva, and had probably a few too many as is my want on a Sunday lunchtime - must make note to self "not to call people and ramble when under the influence"Embarrassed It is the only day we venture out, so I won't castigate myself too much!

I've just returned from the village, and witnessed an horrendous accident on the A1, I called the police, ambulance and fire brigade, must admit, I feel physically sick right now and have just about stopped shaking! I was stationary at a junction, an ambulance was roaring down the A1, sirens blazing, a car started to come out of the junction opposite, the ambulance swerved to avoid it, but the damn car kept on coming - the force of the smash was so great, the ambulance rolled over and bounced into the verge - horrible to see, and I really feel for the people still trapped in the car. As I'm writing this, there's loads of sirens in the background, I did make a statement for the police. I just hope all involved are going to be ok.

• 19/04/2010 12:25 PM
    • EvaInNL
    • Holland
    • 25 Sep 2009
    Top 10 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

Gosh Susiq, are you ok other than the shock? It's horrible when you see accidents like that happen, there's nothing you can do but, like you did, get help asap. The person in the car must've either panicked or had the music so loud he couldn't hear the sirens. It always freaks me out when I just drive past accidents, so I can only imagine how you feel having witnessed it! Have a drink and a lie down...

• 19/04/2010 01:24 PM
    • Susiq
    • Northumberland
    • 16 Feb 2008
    Top 10 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

Thanx Eva, I was shaken up, and have calmed down now. Unfortunately, from what I saw, it wasn't kids with loud music, but a very elderly couple in the car, who I think just didn't see the ambulance in time and panicked when they finally saw it. It really was like people say, about seeing things 'in slow motion' - I could see what was happening, and felt totally helpless to do anything about it.

• 19/04/2010 02:22 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

Hi all, I've only gone through the posts quicklyEmbarrassed - It's good to hear the chillies are doing well for you BB and good to see you about, I can imagine the new lotty is taking up a lot of your time.

I can imagine how shocked you're feeling SusiqRight Hug, I felt pretty much the same three years ago when we turned up at the scene of an accident that had just happened - I called the emergency services and OH and some others directed the traffic until help came.

We had a busy weekend seeing family and took Sasha for her first swim (in over a year) in the sea yesterday which she really enjoyed.

sue1002
  • 19/04/2010 07:55 PM
    • EvaInNL
    • Holland
    • 25 Sep 2009
    Top 10 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

Didn't have a chance to say this earlier but: welcome back BB!! Good to hear you're doing well and keeping busy. I hope you find time to show us some pics of your allotment one of these days! Have a lovely time at Malvern..

Roger you're absolutely right, chatting is half the fun and I'm new there so everyone is coming over to introduce themselves and see what I'm up to. That paint pressure sprayer sounds like fun by the way! I have the same hopes for my alliums as you for your lilies, planted them out this weekend, they were tiny though I took 'cloves' off the main bulbs which had sprouted, the cloves are the size of walnuts.

So what were you doing in Cardiff then Richard? Joanne never mentioned she'd talked to you.. Stick out tongue Sweet of you to save the frog, do you think he'll be back and move into the new ones? Looking forward to the pics!

Sue, must've been fun seeing Sasha dive in and have a good swim! I've given up on the chilis, they're not doing too well and in the end I don't have anywhere sunny and sheltered enough to put them. Maybe next year...

I finally managed to load the video, crappy quality, too bright, windy, frenzied zooming in and out, but its there if you want to see it.

• 19/04/2010 09:21 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

That must have been a shock Susiq no wonder you were shaking I would be the same. I hope that you are feeling a little calmer now. Hope those involved will be OK -you did the right thing in contacting the services. I hope your daughter is getting on  OK in Amsterdam with all these air-transport difficulties at the moment.
    I've put the pond pics below. I have also been making a 'ball type planter' from two old lampshade frames and fixed it to a pole so I need to plant it up now.
    Do you live quite near to the sea Sue?only I remember you going there a little while back (and you had forgotten your costume Wink  )It sounds like you all had a good time there especially SashaDog.

pond:-

pond:-

Planter:-

-Richard
  • 19/04/2010 09:49 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

I'll have a look at the video in a bit Eva.  Yes, it was lovely to see Sasha in the sea again as she absolutely loves it.  The beach is a stony one, so not quite so soft as sand to walk on and that's why Sasha hadn't been for ages.

The beach is at Felixstowe Richard, (11 miles away) and it doesn't take us long to get there at all which is handy as it's also the same town that OH works out of.

Your pics are looking good.

sue1002
  • 19/04/2010 10:34 PM
    • RogerB
    • Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
    • 14 Jan 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

Since you asked earlier, Susiq, here a few photos I've taken round the garden trying out the new camera over the last 10 days or so.P4190044.jpg Pieris 'Forest Flame' picture by RogerB_plants

P4190043.jpg Pieris 'Flaming Silver' picture by RogerB_plants

P4100042.jpg Chaenomeles 'Pink Lady' picture by RogerB_plants

Give it a go - it might just work!
  • 19/04/2010 10:37 PM
    • RogerB
    • 14 Jan 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

Next step is to try and work out how to post them as a link, but that's for another day now.

• 20/04/2010 11:36 AM
    • BB
    • Hereford
    • 12 May 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

Good Morning All, another bright day here after a chilly night. I covered my dwarf fruit trees with a bit of fleece last night - I dont want them getting frosted at this stage!

Roger - I am having the day off work and going to Malvern on Friday 7th, so I am hoping for some good weather then too. I am looking forward to everything except the people with their trolleys running over my toes Angry

That was a terrible thing to witness Susiq, I hope you are feeling a bit better this morning. I think these type of things tend to remain in your memory, unfortunately. My OH witnessed a gruesome accident several years back and he still remembers it like in a slow-mo replay. Not nice

You have been busy around the garden Richard! The planter and the pond should look lovely Smile

I'll bet Sasha enjoyed that swim in the sea Sue. Missy used to love the water - and it seems funny not to have her with us when we walk by the river now.

I'll take some lotty photo's when my shed is finally in position Eva. It can't be moved for a couple of weeks as there is a blackbird nesting in the shrub right next to it and there are 2 hatched chicks in there! We have to wait for them to get some feathers and take flight before we can move the shed. Everything is coming along nicely. My broad beans, peas, beetroot and first early potatoes have all made an appearance (along with some weeds) so I have been earthing up and hoeing a lot! Smile

Roger - I meant to say I can't see your pics here as I'm at work - but I'll look later - I'm sure they're lovely!

BB
  • 20/04/2010 02:05 PM
    • Susiq
    • Northumberland
    • 16 Feb 2008
    Top 10 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

Sue I can imagine Sasha had a great time - must take our two 'herberts' down to the beach again soon - we're only 3 miles away, so have no excuse really, other than just too busy lately, so really should make the time as they love it so much.Wonder if the salt water will help Sasha's hair grow back?!

I love your smiley person with the fishing rod Richard!

RogerB, you are obviously mastering the 'how to' with your camera, lovely pics, and great colours.

Thanx all, I am much better today, and you are so right BB, it really was like in slo-mo, and I keep playing it in my head, the police have been in touch today and want to take a statement from me. It got a whole page coverage in todays papers. Thankfully everyone involved is going to be OK - god knows how when you saw the carnage!  How lovely to have some chicks, even tho' it causes a bit delay in moving the shed. I'm really looking forward to the swallows and swifts returning, hopefully in a couple of weeks time.

Eva, will have a look at your latest blog in a mo'. I'm sure it will be good.

• 20/04/2010 03:06 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

Your camera takes lovely pics RogerSmile

It sounds like your veg are doing well BB, the broad beans I sowed last autumn have been in flower for about a week, my peas are now starting to germinate.  Most of the early potatoes (all in buckets) are coming up but there's no sign as yet of any of the second earlies which were planted over the easter weekend.

So glad you're feeling better today Susiq and it's a relief to hear that everyone involved in the accident are going to be ok.  Has your daughter managed to get a flight back home yet?

sue1002
  • 20/04/2010 03:18 PM
    • RogerB
    • 14 Jan 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

I know how you feel with not being able to see photos at work BB, I'm in the same boat - some I can, mostly though, I can't - will try and put up some more in the next week or so, now I've managed it once. Glad to hear you're feeling a bit brighter today Susiq, after yesterday's events - glad to hear everyone will be ok.

That's an intriguing looking planter you've put together there Richard, do you think it will be sturdy enough for planting up (no slight on your workmanship, just curiousity)?

Look foward to seeing how your lottie is coming along BB, it already looked better than mine just after you took it over - so I can tell the amount of hard work you've been putting into it.

We've had a pair of blackbirds inspecting various bushes and shrubs as potential homes but I don't think they've moved in anywhere in our garden. Swallows & swifts are lovely to watch in flight, aren't they. Shame we don't get many around us - but most of the summer we have red kites circling above us as compensation.

Glad you've had some success with autumn sown broad beans,Sue. Mine all got hit by the snow & frost. Sowed some more last weekend - with a bit of warmer weather they shouldn't take too long - I hope. Put some more peas in at the same time so fingers crossed that the local mice aren't hungry right now.

• 20/04/2010 04:37 PM
    • BB
    • Hereford
    • 12 May 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

I'm glad the victims of the accident are not too badly injured Susiq - that must be a relief.

Sue, I also have some flowers on my autumn sown broad beans (in my raised beds at home) and they are growing really quickly now. The one's at the lottie are only just poking through.

It is really frustrating when you can't see the lovely photo's from work isn't it Roger. You have some nice photo's there, I can see them now I'm home.

I took a pic of the blackbird chicks in the nest by the shed, from as close as I dared go -

BB
  • 20/04/2010 07:39 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Locked Reply | Contact

Hi all my computer just froze after I wrote a message to you all so instead of losing it I took a pic of it with my camera to save me starting typing it all out again here is Smile:-

-Richard