Skip navigation.

What's eating my lavender/rosemary - a herbivor?!

Last post 01-12-2005 1:51 PM by miranda. 6 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

• 09/11/2005 05:49 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

A small, roundish, metalic shiny beetle seems to have munched it's way through my lavender and rosemary - any ideas? I have started to look on various bug type web-sites but nothing matches the description. These critters were found in SW London. Any info would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Caroline B-S
  • 09/11/2005 07:41 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi if you could post a picture it would be useful, failing that if you get in touch with Wisley Andrew Halsted will be able to id the creature 4 u. I think you have to be an R.H.S member for this service best to ask.

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 10/11/2005 11:39 AM
    • William
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Ehm, bit obvious perhaps but could it be .... Rosemary beetle? ;-) http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/research/projects/rosemary_beetle.asp

Happy Gardening, William
    (Netherlands)
  • 10/11/2005 08:35 PM
    • ndhort
    • 06 Aug 2004
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

You have rosemary/lavender beetle (Chrysolina americana) only a recent introduction to the country.They lay eggs on the underside of the leaf and munch away. Rosemary beetle can be controlled either with insecticides or hand picking of the adults and larvae. There are no recommended insecticides that can be used on rosemary if they are to be used for culinary purposes.

• 14/11/2005 09:11 PM
    • Gill_1
    • 14 Nov 2005
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I have something eating Rosemary too ... the leaves are shrivelling and going white and papery, as if a leaf miner has been at work. Havent seen any bugs .... what did the beetles on your Rosemary look like? What was the damage like? Have the plants recovered or is it curtains???! I have heard there is an alien Rosemary Beetle now in the country which can do harm .... but we are in the far west of Pembrokeshire and the plants were all propagated from my own garden stock. Have you leant anything from other sources about this wee beast?

• 30/11/2005 03:17 PM
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Gill, you may have something called sage leafhopper (Eupteryx melissae) as this can affect many of the herbs including rosemary. They feed on the leaves and cause a pale yellow (or white) mottling of the upper surface. Insecticides case on pyrethrum can be used on herbs you use for cooking. Helen, Advisory (RHS)

Helen Bostock
  • 01/12/2005 01:51 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

---------------- On 11/30/2005 3:17:23 PM helen bostock wrote: Gill, you may have something called sage leafhopper (Eupteryx melissae) as this can affect many of the herbs including rosemary. They feed on the leaves and cause a pale yellow (or white) mottling of the upper surface. Insecticides case on pyrethrum can be used on herbs you use for cooking. Helen, Advisory (RHS)---------------- Hello Helen, just wanted to say that it's good to see one of the RHS Advisory people joining in. The rest of do try, but it's nice to see one of the 'big boys' here too.