Skip navigation.

Are bark chips recommended as a base in containers, under the compost?

Last post 20-08-2018 11:08 AM by ASunnyAspect. 6 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

• 03/08/2018 04:48 PM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

{re this thread's layout & lack of paragraphing: sorry re lack of paragraphing, but there seems to be an ERROR ON THE RHS WEBPAGE ("Write a New Post" Webpage) i.e. I CANNOT get this posting to show the paragraph breaks I have typed in!:} Are bark chips recommended as a base in containers (placed at the base of the container, beneath the soil)? For drainage, water retention, unclagging compost, etc. I always thought they were, but don't do much gardening, so would appreciate some advice. We are about to plant out some lovely miniature roses we purchased. I have read up on the recommended medium of soil etc. to use, & have read that a 4:1 mixture (4 parts: John Innes No. 3 compost) (1 part: multi-purpose compost) is a good blend to use. So we've prepared that. Then I was about to start putting the bark chips in yhe base. But I wasn't sure how MUCH bark chip - i.e. depth of bark chips within the pot (measured in cm or inches) - to place in th pots. The pots we will be using range from 2 pots of 30cm diameter right up to 2 pots of 45('ish)cm diameter. Which is when I read online that bark chips - & for that matter gravel - are not only only unnecessary in the bases of containers but can in fact HINDER the required drainage or water retention, & will in fact eventually damage the plant. These are some of those advice-containing Web pages: The Myth of Using Gravel and Bark to Drain Containers and Planters ... https://blog.gardeningknowhow.com › Garden Trends can bark be used at bottom of pot for drainage http://www.growsonyou.com/question/show/73714 Garden Myth: Gravel in Pots and Containers | Today's Homeowner https://www.todayshomeowner.com/garden-myth-putting-gravel-in-pots-and-containers/ Is this true?! Should I NOT use bark chips (we have no gravel, nor any broken pots, so they were never an option!) There is SO much much Yes-No-Yes advice online it is difficult to sift through it all & find the TRUTH!! ,-)

~ ASunnyAspect ~
  • 03/08/2018 07:59 PM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi, all I can say is that apart from a few pieces of broken pottery (used in a crock pot with only one drainage hole), I have never put bark or anything else in the base of a pot before adding a good quality compost. A good compost will be free draining anyway. Blackstart

• 04/08/2018 06:44 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Paragraphing should be OK if you do it in Explorer. Poppikin

• 04/08/2018 07:37 AM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thats excellent advice from Blackstart. I have heard that if bark chips are used on any soil their natural decomposing process will remove valuable Nitrogen which should be made up to restore a well balanced medium for plants to thrive.

• 20/08/2018 10:48 AM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Re "Paragraphing should be OK if you do it in Explorer. Poppikin" Do you mean, create it in HTML? Or do you mean to post it straight into this website? I WOULD post it in directly, that way, but I tend to create posts off-line, before pasting them into the webpage, to avoid losing the draft text! We create most of our postings in a .txt file, which is about the most 'simple' a format/software that is available on our computer! THEN paste that text from the .txt file into the forum webpage.

~ ASunnyAspect ~
  • 20/08/2018 11:02 AM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks all for the advice. Think I will AVOID using bark chips, then! I am pleased to see that I am NOT the only person asking this question. e.g. someone else posted the same question 6 years ago,elsewhere online: [THREAD:] can bark be used at bottom of pot for drainage [Question asked on 15 Mar, 2012] (http://www.growsonyou.com/question/show/73714) So we are "not alone" in our belief these chips could be used as drainage! ,-D BTW, I am wondering just HOW this advie re using bark chips came about, then. And am thinking that maybe somebody suggested bark chips for usage in planters of SHORT-TERM usage only; where any damage would be limited if the bark chips would only be in use for 1 season. Perhaps...

~ ASunnyAspect ~
  • 20/08/2018 11:08 AM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

BTW, we STILL can't get the paragraphing to show properly! And THIS time I created my last post by typing straight into the forum webpage (rather than using .txt file). :-/ We are using a standard PC, Window, & Internet Explorer, so can' think what the problem is. Hey ho! Maybe the problem will rectify itself some time, by itself! ,-D

~ ASunnyAspect ~