Skip navigation.

Sow seeds at 60-68 F!!!!

Last post 04-04-2018 9:38 PM by Nigel. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 02/04/2018 05:02 PM
    • BML
    • 14 Feb 2010
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I may be a trifle late but I started sowing some flower seeds in my Greenhouse and it was only then that I noticed that practically all of the seed packets said that they should be planted in 60-68 F.

I can't afford to heat a greenhouse and I doubt that anyone else can as for putting them on window sills I very much doubt that I could get away with that so what does a real gardener do?

• 03/04/2018 11:58 AM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I'm not sure I am a 'real' gardener but this year I borrowed a heated tray (a heat pad works too) and started some seeds this way. Others have benefited from a windowsill over a radiator and a friend germinates his seeds on moist tissue and covered in cling-film in a plastic 'take-away' tub in the airing cupboard. Once germination has started he then puts them in soil and keeps them on an unheated windowsill in plenty of light. I believe that, providing overnight or daytime temperatures remain above about 5C, your seeds might just take longer to germinate, providing they aren't too wet. From now onwards for the next couple of weeks you should find some get going. Good luck!

• 04/04/2018 09:38 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Many people germinate seed on their windowsills and there are a number of windowsill propagators available, both heated and unheated. You can use damp kitchen roll in a plastic tub ib the airing cupboard as Minnie said; you just need to check them regularly for germination. At this time of year manyflower seeds will germinate in an unheated greenhouse; last weekend I sowed basil and calendula in my unheated greenhouse alongside the parsni, peas, carrots and cauliflower seed sown at the beginning iof March and germinating nicely.

I start tomatoes and chillis and some flower seeds off on a heated tray next to a window in February as these need a long growing season.