Skip navigation.

Gardeners' Delight again

Last post 29-03-2018 4:03 PM by Nigel. 8 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

• 05/01/2018 11:40 AM
    • Bernard
    • West Riding of Yorkshire
    • 11 Jun 2012
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Further to my recent post about Gardeners' Delight, I am happy to see that the RHS has, after a recent trial, removed the Award of Merit. Unfortunately all seed merchants that I have viewed are still stating it to have excellent properties. I am disappointed that it has taken so long for this to happen. I reported my doubts to RHS and to T&M about 3 years ago but nobody took any notice.

There is much that I don't understand about seed supplies and I wonder if anyone could enlighten me on one detail -

I know our UK stockists obtain them from foreign sources but what I really want to know is, is each named variety (whether F1 or not)l from one original source? If not, then  the situation is virtually uncontrollable.

• 12/01/2018 11:30 AM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Bernard, sorry to see you have had no replies. I have no information regarding tomato seed production but I have included a link to an article that you may find interesting (I hope I have not already drawn your attention to this article before). The writer believes Gardeners Delight seed production has been diluted. I have no idea if all tomato varieties originate from one plant but as producing a good F1 Cultivar is done for commerciall success, then I would think the plant breeders would want to maintain the quality of the cross. There may also be breeders rights placed on the Cultivar. Regards Blackstart http://www.irishnews.com/lifestyle/2015/09/26/news/the-casual-gardener-the-tomato-that-no-longer-delights-271680/

• 12/01/2018 01:23 PM
    • Bernard
    • 11 Jun 2012
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks, Blackstart. It is interesting that the Irish News article is dated 2015 and indicates that T&M knew then that GD had problems (and I had already reported it to them). I am somewhat disgusted that they continued - and still do - to advertise it as an excellent variety.

• 12/01/2018 07:27 PM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Bernard, afraid I don't grow any tomatoes so have no knowledge of any varieties I could recommend as an alternative. I'm sure someone on this forum must have a few ideas. Regards Blackstart

• 12/01/2018 10:04 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Kings seeds (Kelvedon) specifically describe their Gardeners Delight as "genuine seed". I know that Kings still grow a lot of their own seed so perhaps a letter or phone call might get you some answers.

• 12/01/2018 11:36 PM
    • Bernard
    • 11 Jun 2012
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks Nigel, I shall certainly give them a try.

• 17/01/2018 07:28 PM
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Bernard. Thanks for your thoughts on Tomato Gardeners' Delight. The 2017 trial of tomatoes held at RHS Wisley Garden was of cherry type varieties. At the time Gardeners' Delight was considered to be of this type, hence it's inclusion in the trial. However, when compared with other trial plants it was decided by forum members that GD did not fit this the type, and so could not be awarded an AGM under the cherry category. Hence it's AGM was rescinded. As I understand it, it's quality and reliability were not called into question. In my opinion it remains an excellent reliable choice. But we all have different tastes!

Chris
  • 03/02/2018 04:40 PM
    • Bernard
    • 11 Jun 2012
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Chris, it is a matter of fact that GD has become unrelialble. Please look back to the link given by Blackstart in the first answer to my post. I threw away the fruit from my 2017 crop, even the soup was bitter, and I am not the only person to throw it away. It is apparent that some people are still having good results but this iris misleading.

• 29/03/2018 04:03 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

This may be of interest

https://gardenerscorner.co.uk/threads/gardeners-delight-tomato-seed-germination-and-growing-thread.119736/