Skip navigation.

Liverwort

Last post 30-10-2017 7:15 AM by Backache. 7 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

• 28/10/2017 04:40 PM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have some outstandingly good patches of this in the shadier, damp areas of my lawn. I am aware that these are the conditions in which this pest thrives. I am told that it will even "see off" moss. I am also informed some people find it attractive. I don't and consider its presence in my garden to be insulting. I have tried different brands of lawn weed control to no effect. A friend tells me he controlled it with Paraquat. He still has some and offered it to me but I understand that if I did use it I could well be spending Christmas in a 'big house" Does anyone know of a legal control for this please?. I really would love to know>

• 28/10/2017 08:10 PM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi backache, I've tried to reply to your post twice so far but without success. See if they appear later. Blackstart

• 28/10/2017 08:32 PM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I've tried to send it using Firefox bu still no joy so I've tried to send you a private message but not sure if that worked. It will be like buses, not one to be seen for ages, then they all come at once! I despair of this forum sometimes. Blackstart

• 29/10/2017 06:55 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Paraquat would kill the grass as well. I don't see how anyone would know if you had used paraquat or glyphosate unless you talked.

Liverwort is not a plant being closer to mosses and algae. I would look to improve the drainage, reduce compaction and if possible reduce the shading. So spike the lawn and work sharp sand into the holes. You could also try lawn sand with ferrous sulphate for moss control.

• 29/10/2017 06:57 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Blackstart

I share your dispair. I have had posts go for moderation and never reappear and no feedback.

• 29/10/2017 08:00 AM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Blackstart. Thank you very much for taking the trouble to reply. I have not received your pm, yet, but it could well turn up at any time. I agree this forum is getting quirky. Posts turning up in the wrong places etc. I think it needs a good service!!!! and Nigel Thank you also for replying. I shall certainly give the area a good forking. The lawn was only put down a couple of years ago on around 3 inches of top soil placed on top of a generous helping of what the builder called "Goodwins sand" so drainage is not too bad. I am sure the ferrous sulphate should be a real help. Thanks again and good gardening to you both!!

• 29/10/2017 05:05 PM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Backache, in a nutshell the articles I found generally suggested what Nigel has said, scrape off the liverworts, aerate and improve the soil, then reseed. However, some suggest that if the ground is affected by liverworts, it is probably unsuitable for growing grass. Blackstart

• 30/10/2017 07:15 AM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thank you very much for this info Blackstart. Very useful. I shall certainly give these patches the Nigel treatment and will see what happens. If the area proves not suitable for lawn I am shall have to put my "thinking cap" on. Take care!