Skip navigation.

Planting tulip bulbs

Last post 09-09-2017 11:18 PM by poppikin. 3 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

• 08/09/2017 01:52 PM
    • Paul
    • 16 Jun 2010
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I read that tulip bulbs shouldn't be planted until November or even December, I want to plant wallflowers with the tulips interspersed between them. Wallflowers need to go in in October and I won't have space to plant the tulips after the wallflowers have gone in. Can I put the tulip bulbs in the fridge for a week or two to give them the cold snap and then plant them at the same time as the wallflowers or do you have any other suggestions?

• 08/09/2017 06:44 PM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have grown tulips inter-planted between wallflowers when planting large bedding schemes in the midlands. We planted the wallflowers first and then placed out the tulip bulbs between them so we knew that there was a bulb in every space, we then planted the bulbs. I remember it was a delicate operation not to stand on either bulbs or wallflowers as you worked. Timing was decided by when soil conditions allowed us to get on and do the work. We might do the planting in either October or November, but preferred October. Tulips always flowered ok and at the correct time. I wouldn't worry too much about timing, it's pointless waiting to do a job while the soil and weather is good only to get poorer soil and weather conditions a month later. The plants will make their own adjustments if they need to. Blackstart

• 09/09/2017 05:54 PM
    • Paul
    • 16 Jun 2010
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

ok many thanks, I'll plant them both in October

• 09/09/2017 11:18 PM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

That's a very good reply Blackstart. Of interest to me too. Thanks. poppikin