Skip navigation.

Watering cans

Last post 01-09-2017 3:01 AM by poppikin. 11 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

• 24/08/2017 10:08 PM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Rather foolishly I bought a couple of plastic watering cans when away from home. They were heavily covered in cling film and when I opened them at home I found they were rather strange. There is no spout and the rose comes out of the side of the can. I don t use a rose and I do need a spout. Does anyone know where I can buy a spout? I have had no success in garden centres. poppikin

• 25/08/2017 04:07 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

What you are describing sounds really weird, not like any watering can I have ever seen! Did you buy them in this country and does the supplier have a website where you might be able to find an answer to your question? I have trouble trying to get the right size rose as every watering can is a different size spout but have no idea where you can buy just a spout. Sorry.

• 27/08/2017 12:34 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Minnie I have sent you a PM. poppikin

• 27/08/2017 12:45 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Minnie thanks for your reply. The watering can is from a major manufacturer and I tried to phone their main switchboard but no reply and did not answer a message off their website. I went to our garden centre which is quite good and they no longer stock it as no demand. I am going to try spouts from other cans on their display to get an idea of what it's like and size and then try to get one off Amazon. I do need a good reach. Thanks for help. poppikin

• 30/08/2017 05:35 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have not succeeded with this. Unless anyone knows anything about these watering cans I am going to give up. poppikin

• 30/08/2017 04:24 PM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

poppikin. I do understand your disappointment. I have no idea how much your new purchase cost but my old granny used to say "cheap things are expensive and expensive things are cheap." I have found this to be more or less true. She joined the heavenly set many years ago now so I have not been able to tell her how useful I have found this advice. Haws do a very good range of watering cans both in metal and long life plastic many with longish spouts. But they ain't cheap. If I were you I would take one of your admirers to a Garden centre selling the Haws range and keep dropping hints that you really like then and would love to have one. With a bit of luck he/she will fork out for one as a present for you. Good Luck!!!

• 31/08/2017 10:13 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Can vouch for Haws, well worth the money, had two plastic ones for years in the greenhouse. One is showing it's age a bit now. Well balanced when full can use one handed.

• 31/08/2017 03:57 PM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Sorry Backache and Nigel I do not like Haws at all. I have several I abandoned after very little use. The spouts are too narrow for me and I get fed up waiting for the water to come out. The filling hole is too small and is an awkward shape. poppikin

• 31/08/2017 07:02 PM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Oh dear! Oh dear,! Oh dear!!!!! Oh dear! I must say I am not too keen on whores. Have you considered a hose connected to your mains supply with a good pistol tap? Also very efficacious at dissuading neighbouring brats from committing a tort.

• 31/08/2017 08:22 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Works on cats and seagulls as well.

You could look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Traditional-Watering-Galvanised-Brass-Gallon/dp/B0083TO3S0

Or find older versions in junk shops, car boot sales etc.

I have one with a 1 inch diameter spout that works well for watering established plants, but less well on more delicate plants than a full grown dahlia or tomato.

• 01/09/2017 02:54 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Backache said on 31 August 2017
    Oh dear! Oh dear,! Oh dear!!!!! Oh dear! I must say I am not too keen on whores. Have you considered a hose connected to your mains supply with a good pistol tap? Also very efficacious at dissuading neighbouring brats from committing a tort

Thanks Backache. I do have a hose fitted to my mains tap with an excellent jubilee clip but it's very long to reach the boundaries and heavy to keep hauling out. I use the cans to get water from my water butts to water things on the terrace and table.

poppikin

• 01/09/2017 03:01 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Nigel said on 31 August 2017
    Works on cats and seagulls as well.

You could look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Traditional-Watering-Galvanised-Brass-Gallon/dp/B0083TO3S0

Or find older versions in junk shops, car boot sales etc.

I have one with a 1 inch diameter spout that works well for watering established plants, but less well on more delicate plants than a full grown dahlia or tomato.

Thanks Nigel.  I do use the galvanised ones but I prefer my originals to the modern lookalikes.

I have plenty of cans but just bought these ones on a whim. 

poppikin