Skip navigation.

Bluebells?

Last post 08-07-2017 11:00 PM by gordino. 12 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

• 09/05/2017 11:30 PM
    • BML
    • 14 Feb 2010
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I would like to plant Bluebells at the end of my garden which is a shady spot but recently learnt that there are two species in Britain, British and Spanish so I have a number of questions.

How and when did the Spanish Bluebells appear?

Does it really matter which species I plant?

Where does one obtain Bluebell plants?

When does one plant them?

• 10/05/2017 12:33 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Not sure when Spanish Bluebells arrived over here, they were probably bought over and planted in peoples gardens and then escaped. Google should provide more info.

Difference described here  http://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/bluebell/whats-the-difference-between-native-bluebells-and-spanish-bluebells also https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=426

The English is the native species and can be displaced by the Spanish.

Many reputable companies supply bulbs and they can also be bought "in the green". They are protected so you cannot go and help yourself.

"In the green" are available around now and should be planted when they arrive. Not sure about bulbs but probably when they are available to buy would be the best time to plant them.

• 11/05/2017 06:42 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have loads in my garden. As they are protected and you cannot help yourself can I give them away? poppikin

• 17/05/2017 12:53 PM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Can anyone help me with my post below please? poppikin

• 20/05/2017 07:54 AM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I know the "common sense" aspect of English law no longer exists but I would have thought that if you gave the bulbs to a responsible adult gardener you would absolutely correct in arguing that you were giving them away for the betterment of the species. If a stroppy Rozzer comes banging on the door just get yourself a bent lawyer and plead diminished responsibility.

• 26/05/2017 10:43 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I've now asked the RHS and it's quite straightforward in that the owner of the land they are on can give them away. Mine are English bluebells and are in the green at the moment. If BML sends me a Private Message with an address I will post some. poppikin

• 23/06/2017 09:29 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

If BML would like some bluebells they are nearly over. poppikin

• 23/06/2017 05:39 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Poppikin, I suggest you send BML a private message to tell them this. M

• 27/06/2017 02:43 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

No not really Minnie. Now we don't get notifications of PMs we have to come on here to look for them so it is the same. It seems that BML has just not been here. I have sent a PM before but put it on here again in case anyone else would like some. I can also offer primroses. poppikin

• 07/07/2017 12:05 PM
    • BML
    • 14 Feb 2010
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Much as I enjoy reading replies when I get involved in other things I forget that there appears, (at least to me) that there is no automatic reminder when a thread receives an answer unless there actually is and I have not discovered it.  As some time has passed since I asked about Bluebells I suspect that I should ask a supplementary question of; when does one plant Bluebells and could one buy them from a reputable Garden Centre?  As a dyslexic who although he can’t spell can recognise when he has typed words wrongly I have just discovered that the forums do not warn of spelling errors as some forums do.  God bless bathroom radiators and Spell check.

I have just stuck a Paste it on the side of my computer to remind me to check for replies and thank you all who offered advice.

• 07/07/2017 05:03 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I believe you can replant them at any time. I have done this in my garden at most times of the year except when they are growing and/or in bloom. I have just taken seeds from mine and they are just about ending being 'in the green' so now would be a good time, if Poppikin is still happy to send you some bulbs.

• 08/07/2017 05:00 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

BML yes you are right and we do not get notification of replies to messages now so you have to keep looking.

Nigel replied above as well as Miinnie.

Generally garden centres stock things at the right time to plant them.

I suggest you would get the best result using ones "in the green". That means that they have just finished flowering and still have their green foliage on.

Mine have just about finished now but I can probably find some to send you if you would like them. As above, send me a Private Message on here with an address to send them to.

poppikin

• 08/07/2017 11:00 PM
    • gordino
    • surrey
    • 30 Mar 2013
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

we have lots in our garden, the trouble is they come up in the wrong places lol.