Skip navigation.

Bluebells?

Last post 26-05-2017 10:43 AM by poppikin. 5 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

• 09/05/2017 11:30 PM
    • BML
    • 14 Feb 2010
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I would like to plant Bluebells at the end of my garden which is a shady spot but recently learnt that there are two species in Britain, British and Spanish so I have a number of questions.

How and when did the Spanish Bluebells appear?

Does it really matter which species I plant?

Where does one obtain Bluebell plants?

When does one plant them?

• 10/05/2017 12:33 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Not sure when Spanish Bluebells arrived over here, they were probably bought over and planted in peoples gardens and then escaped. Google should provide more info.

Difference described here  http://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/bluebell/whats-the-difference-between-native-bluebells-and-spanish-bluebells also https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=426

The English is the native species and can be displaced by the Spanish.

Many reputable companies supply bulbs and they can also be bought "in the green". They are protected so you cannot go and help yourself.

"In the green" are available around now and should be planted when they arrive. Not sure about bulbs but probably when they are available to buy would be the best time to plant them.

• 11/05/2017 06:42 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have loads in my garden. As they are protected and you cannot help yourself can I give them away? poppikin

• 17/05/2017 12:53 PM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Can anyone help me with my post below please? poppikin

• 20/05/2017 07:54 AM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I know the "common sense" aspect of English law no longer exists but I would have thought that if you gave the bulbs to a responsible adult gardener you would absolutely correct in arguing that you were giving them away for the betterment of the species. If a stroppy Rozzer comes banging on the door just get yourself a bent lawyer and plead diminished responsibility.

• 26/05/2017 10:43 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I've now asked the RHS and it's quite straightforward in that the owner of the land they are on can give them away. Mine are English bluebells and are in the green at the moment. If BML sends me a Private Message with an address I will post some. poppikin