Skip navigation.

Planting Conifers in difficult conditions.

Last post 30-03-2017 7:21 AM by Nigel. 1 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

• 29/03/2017 04:37 PM
    • BML
    • 14 Feb 2010
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Two years ago a money grabbing farmer sold the land at the back of where I live to a speculator who built house ten feet from where we used to be able to Deer and Pheasants so I bought some Conifers about eighteen inches high having read that they grow like stink.
    The speculator put a six foot fence up three feet away from my boundary which I think explains why the Conifers have not grown like stink and they see very little sun as I have an established Walnut tree in that part of the garden.

I need some advice: 
    To give the Conifers a chance to grow how far away from the fence should they?
    What sort of Conifer should they be?
    How far apart should they be?
    When should they be planted?

They will need to be planted under the Walnut tree.  Is that a waste of time?

• 30/03/2017 07:21 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Planting under the Walnut will be problematic, as Walnuts are supposed to activley suppress growth under them. Even without that the heavy shade and competition for water will be a problem for the young plants.

Some conifers grow like mad, others can be slow to get started and others are  always slow. Many conifers become bald lower down as they get taller. Some of my pines are branchless up to 20ft off the ground.

Do they have to be conifers? How high do you want the hedge to be? What are you trying to achieve? There is legislation regarding high hedges that might be worth checking. Could a good native hedge work as this would be more vwildlife friendly.

I think I would be inclined to go for Yew but it depends what the soil is like and how much rain you get.